Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device ...error message

bigbonthabeat

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
My computer was working fine, but then I rebooted it and it gave me this message:::

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

I went into the BIOS and the drive that I use for my operating system was not being recognized, but the other 2 drives were. Does this mean that my hard drive died? If so, how can I be sure

thanks!

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Not necessarily. I had issues with my new computer & the SSD doesn't always show up.

It might also be from a Trojan virus where someone gained access to you computer & deleted the Master Boot record.

First try going into bios & see what the boost order is set to.
Some times when the CMOS battery dies (another possibility) it resets to the default settings which may not work depending on your system.

You could try; booting from the Windows DVD then try a repair?

JD

bigbonthabeat

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009

Thanks for your reply : )

I highly doubt it's a virus because I never have this computer connected to the internet.

By checking what the boot order is set to, what does this allow me to verify?
And How do I check the CMOS battery?

I'm not sure about anything, but I think it's a hard drive problem because there is this sound that occurs every 5 seconds from the hard drive that isn't showing up in the BIOS

thanks again for your help : )

Finlay09

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
This happened to me a little while ago. I was sure the HDD was toast, I checked everything. Oddly enough, the problem was solved only when I reverted back to factory clock speeds. so if you're overclocking, it may be worth a try.

bigbonthabeat

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009

thanks for the reply : )

But I'm not overclocking this machine