Commendable
Nov 1, 2016
Hi all,
I have a custom build pc with:
Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz
Corsair 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz
Seagate 3TB Barracuda Hard Drive - 3.5" SATA-III
OCZ 128GB Vertex 4 SATA III SSD
I had upgraded to Wibdows 10, which was installed on the SSD. The 3TB had all my media and files on it.

I plugged a friends android phone into my pc today and it froze. Unplugged it several times and eventually reset the PC with the button on the front.
Upon reboot it displayed "Reboot and select proper boot device". I went into BIOS and could not get it to boot from the SSD. Attempts to boot from the 3TB gabe the same message - but it does not have Windoes installed so no surorise.
After some searching i saw suggestions to create a Windows boot cd. I did this and booted into the Windows 10 installer. I notixed only one drive was appearing when i chose install Windows. I mistakenly formattes my 3TB drive and ibstalled windows on ot.
I now have a fresh install of Windows 10 and realised i chose the wrong drive. Now i cannot see the SSD at all in the This PC or in device manager.
I booted from the boot disc again and pressed shift and F10 to bring up the prompt. Listdisk shows the following:
Disk 0 Online. 2794 GB
It does not show the SSD at all. The SSD is still visible in the BIOS but "Reboot and select proper boot device" appears when ibtry to boot from it.
Id be really grateful if anyone could assist in helping me to locate the SSD. I know i have lost the data on the 3Tb which is a shame but not my main concern.
I want to salvage any data possible from the SSD and then install windows and wipe the 3TB again.
Thanks in advance!

Solution
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, @kimo8472!

I'd strongly recommend you try to boot from the SSD again, once you swap the SATA cable that is connecting it and also plug it to another SATA III port on your motherboard. If you have access to another computer around you, try plugging the drive there as a secondary storage and see how it would appear in Disk Management. Did you unplug the secondary drive from the system when you were clean installing Windows 10 onto the SSD? Having multiple SATA devices connected during the installation could result in an OS confusion most of the time.

Hope this helps. Let me know if and how the SSD appears with the cable/port swap and the other system.
SuperSoph_WD
Welcome to Tom's Hardware, @kimo8472!

I'd strongly recommend you try to boot from the SSD again, once you swap the SATA cable that is connecting it and also plug it to another SATA III port on your motherboard. If you have access to another computer around you, try plugging the drive there as a secondary storage and see how it would appear in Disk Management. Did you unplug the secondary drive from the system when you were clean installing Windows 10 onto the SSD? Having multiple SATA devices connected during the installation could result in an OS confusion most of the time.

Hope this helps. Let me know if and how the SSD appears with the cable/port swap and the other system.
SuperSoph_WD

Solution