[SOLVED] Reboot and Select proper Boot Device error

Feb 3, 2020
I keep getting the error

"Reboot and select a proper Boot Device

or insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and press a key"

I'm trying to install windows 10 from a usb(using MediaCreationTool). In the BIOS the correct usb is selected for the primary boot #1, I save changes and reboot, but just constantly get this error. The two other hard drives, GPU, and RAM are being read as well.

Specs:

CPU: i7-8700K

MB: MSI Z390 Gaming Plus

GPU: evga RTX 2080

Case: Corsair 275R Airflow

Solution
Change the Boot device back to the HDD/SSD option. Power off and disconnect all drives except the one that will the boot drive.

When booting the system back up you will see an option to select the boot disk presented at the bottom of the screen. It appears at the same time that the option to enter the bios is shown. Often its F11 or F12.
{hint: pressing the Pause/Break key does actually pause the boot process and give you time to read the options and press a key}

Press the Key and then select your USB drive.
If your motherboard bios is in uefi mode then select the USb option that begins with UEFI: xxxxx
xxxx varies with motherbd, sometimes it the name of the drive (My Flash Drive), the drive manufacturer (sandisk 16gb), or the...

popatim

Titan
Change the Boot device back to the HDD/SSD option. Power off and disconnect all drives except the one that will the boot drive.

When booting the system back up you will see an option to select the boot disk presented at the bottom of the screen. It appears at the same time that the option to enter the bios is shown. Often its F11 or F12.
{hint: pressing the Pause/Break key does actually pause the boot process and give you time to read the options and press a key}

Press the Key and then select your USB drive.
If your motherboard bios is in uefi mode then select the USb option that begins with UEFI: xxxxx
xxxx varies with motherbd, sometimes it the name of the drive (My Flash Drive), the drive manufacturer (sandisk 16gb), or the Application (Win10 Install)

Solution
Also, plug the USB into one of the ports directly on the motherboard. Also sometimes, for whatever reason, I've had issues with USB 3.0 drives not wanting to be bootable, but when you went to a USB 2.0 drive all was happy. Not 100% sure why, but that's my experience.

Also, plug the USB into one of the ports directly on the motherboard. Also sometimes, for whatever reason, I've had issues with USB 3.0 drives not wanting to be bootable, but when you went to a USB 2.0 drive all was happy. Not 100% sure why, but that's my experience.
I've seen this too.

Also, recreate your media. Flash drives aren't exactly the most reliable, so if it wrote the boot sector wrong it won't boot.