Question "Reboot and select proper boot device" error ?

Your USB flash drive should be first in boot order.
Currently you have M.2 drive as first.
And you're booting in legacy mode.

Windows 11 requires UEFI mode.

During installation of windows I'd recommend having only two ram modules (slots A2, B2).
4 ram modules can introduce stability issues. You absolutely want to avoid that during installation.

Last edited:

ubuysa

Distinguished
I would also advise disconnecting all storage drives except the one you intend to install Windows on. It's not uncommon, where there are multiple drives, to find the installer placing the boot partition on a separate drive to the intended Windows drive.

mtm5062

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
Your USB flash drive should be first in boot order.
Currently you have M.2 drive as first.
And you're booting in legacy mode.

Windows 11 requires UEFI mode.

During installation of windows I'd recommend having only two ram modules (slots A2, B2).
4 ram modules can introduce stability issues. You absolutely want to avoid that during installation.

View: https://imgur.com/a/Vxcd8Qx
I removed the 2 sticks of RAM and am only using A2 and B2 like you suggested. It seems I am getting further but I am still getting the following error. I tried booting to the USB drive by selecting UEFI: SMI USB DISK 1100 Partition 1 (8GB) and SMI USB DISK 1100 (8GB) and it looks like its going to install Windows (I tried Windows 10 and 11) and it keeps giving the error during installation.

mtm5062

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
I would also advise disconnecting all storage drives except the one you intend to install Windows on. It's not uncommon, where there are multiple drives, to find the installer placing the boot partition on a separate drive to the intended Windows drive.
I tried that too. When all said and done I have 2 2TB NVMe drives I want installed. But I removed the 2nd one for installation. I also have a 3rd brand new T500 drive and its giving the same error above during installation

Not sure if this is the solution, considering Google's search results getting worse these days but it gave me this when looking up that error code: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/nvbhal/windows_10_install_fails_with_error_0xc0000005/ The tl;dr is when you run the Media Creation Tool, make sure to right click on it and select "Run as administrator"

Alternatively you could download the ISO and use Rufus to create the USB installer.

EDIT: On a side note about how many sticks of RAM you have installed, the number shouldn't matter. While yes, there's potential for instability with more sticks, this can be mitigated by lowering the transfer rate of the RAM. And it also depends on the topology of the slots; i.e., if they're daisy chained or T-topology.

But I don't think any of this matters as long as you're not above the specified transfer rate the spec sheet says. You can try and go above it, but going out of spec always brings about a risk of instability.

Last edited:

mtm5062

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
Ok It ended up being a bad Windows 11 installation media. I guess all my use of diskpart may have wiped it. I created a new one and it works but now I keep getting odd menus disappearing and blue screens - page fault in nonpaged area. I feel like this computer is cursed. Is this fixable?