Question Reboot and select proper boot device problem

Oct 6, 2023
Hi. I run windows on a 500gig SSD with a 1tb HDD for storage. I was running out of space so I bought a 1tb nvme drive today and installed it. It showed up as a device in BIOS (MSI 5) just fine. Since the nvme is faster than the SSD it made sense to install windows on the new drive instead, so I plugged in my windows 10 USB stick in and started the process. I got to the point where I choose which drive to install it on and got cold feet. My options for installing were a little confusing as I could only see 1 1tb drive instead of the 2 I expected to see. It said the drive was completely empty but it wasn't named as m2 or anything and I didn't wanna wipe out everything on my hdd so I figured I'll cancel the install and boot windows to see if I needed to configure the m2 drive. I could at least check the total size of my HDD to see if it matched the size of the drive I had the option to install to when I was in windows setup.
Upon restarting I ran into the "reboot and select proper boot device" screen. I figured it's because I have the USB stick still plugged in so I remove that and try again. No luck. I went into BIOS and disabled everything in the boot priority menu apart from the ssd, and it didn't help. I got worried that disabling everything in the boot priority <Mod Edit> it up so I loaded optimised defaults, but still no luck. I restarted again and loaded into the boot options menu where my choices were the ssd or the m2. I chose SSD and still the same screen.
I have done a little googling around and most of the guides are for new installs/computers so they weren't relevant to my situation. I have tried unplugging the PC and holding the power button down to drain it. I have also tried unplugging every USB device including keyboard and mouse when starting up.

Does anyone have anything else I can try? Is it even worth trying as opposed to unplugging my ssd and hdd and just installing windows on the m2 ( assuming that is what was showing up in the options I mentioned earlier)

Sorry for the amount of text. Figured I should put as much information as possible here to avoid wasting people's time suggesting things I have done already. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
When installing windows you should always disconnect any other drives except for the one you want to install it on because windows tends to mess up and install the bootloader on a different drive than the OS.

Reactions: jaguarfry
Oct 6, 2023
When installing windows you should always disconnect any other drives except for the one you want to install it on because windows tends to mess up and install the bootloader on a different drive than the OS.
So should I just disconnect the ssd and hdd and then install windows on the nvme and format the ssd later?

Reactions: Order 66