[SOLVED] Reboot and select proper boot device solutions not working

Mar 21, 2022
Hello,

So every once in a while my pc will black screen when i turn it on or be stuck at motherboard logo. Once that happens i usually restart the pc and get the message reboot and select proper boot device.

I know you are going to suggest check the boot order and what not but that is always in the right order. The only difference i see when the pc is working normally is that i have an option to boot with windows boot manager (i think thats what its called) but when i get the above error message that boot option is gone but my ssd is still visible.
The boot order is always correct.

Everytime this has happened i have tried every youtube tutorial (except removing the cmos battery )and nothing ever helps.

The way i usually solve the problem is that i shut down my pc completely and unplug the power cable and leave it like that for some time. Usually i can turn it on once about 30 minutes pass. (I tried turning it on after shorter periods but i still get the error)

Im curious if you have any suggestions how to solve this issue or have an idea why unplugging the power cable seems to help.

Specs:
Gpu: rx 580
Cpu: ryzen 5 2600
Ssd: xpg sx6000 pro 256 gb
Psu: antex 650 watt 80+bronze
MoBo: asus prime b450plus

Solution
Everytime this has happened i have tried every youtube tutorial (except removing the cmos battery )and nothing ever helps.

The way i usually solve the problem is that i shut down my pc completely and unplug the power cable and leave it like that for some time. Usually i can turn it on once about 30 minutes pass. (I tried turning it on after shorter periods but i still get the error)
That's basically the same thing it just takes longer.

Your boot order might always be the same but depending on if you have legacy or secure boot enabled it will only see the corresponding drives during boot up time no matter what the boot order says.
So next time this happens watch out for if the secure/legacy option has changed.
Mar 21, 2022
have you switched the battery in the cmos? i was having that same problem that fixed it for me. also could have a dying or malfunctioning hard drivevor hard drive controller

Mar 21, 2022
have you switched the battery in the cmos? i was having that same problem that fixed it for me. also could have a dying or malfunctioning hard drivevor hard drive controller
I have not switched the battery in the cmos, kinda left that as a last resort since the pc is not that old (2.5 years). Also i have a hard drive but only for secondary storage, my OS is on a m.2 ssd. Is there any way to check if there are problems with the ssd?

Mar 21, 2022
there's test you can do free software to download also software that will check the smart codes on hard drives for errors. hard drives have like check engine lights when they start having issues. it's called s. m. a. r. t

Mar 21, 2022
there's a program called crystaldisk info that could be of use to you but there's several hard drive software that's free that can stress test your hd or just check for errors

Your boot order might always be the same but depending on if you have legacy or secure boot enabled it will only see the corresponding drives during boot up time no matter what the boot order says.
So next time this happens watch out for if the secure/legacy option has changed.

Solution
Mar 21, 2022
my nas rig would always default to secure boot after a power off because the bios battery was dying. i always had to change the settings for secure boot back to other os

Mar 21, 2022
there's a program called crystaldisk info that could be of use to you but there's several hard drive software that's free that can stress test your hd or just check for errors
I used disk checkup and it says everything is fine. However it doesnt display the threshold and value values.

Mar 21, 2022

Ok, i'll keep track of that the next time it happens. Which one of those options is the correct one?