Question "Reboot and select proper boot device" STICKY THREAD SOLUTIONS DIDN'T WORK

Mar 14, 2023
As the title of the thread states, I am getting the "reboot and select proper boot device" message when trying to boot my pc. However, I'm starting to believe that the usual fixes won't help.

I recently purchased a Ryzen 7 5800x from a friend and two days ago I decided to swap my Ryzen 5 3600x for the new processor. I made the switch and when I turned my pc back on, it didn't boot. I couldn't even get into the BIOS. I then remembered that I had forgotten to update the BIOS before switching CPUs. I had an ASUS B450 motherboard, which should have been compatible with the 5800x, as long as the BIOS had been updated. Okay so, all I should have to do is put the old CPU back in and update the BIOS right? I should also mention that immediately prior to swapping CPUs, my PC ran perfectly fine. I never had any issues booting. So I removed the 5800x and put the old 3600x in. My PC was now exactly the same as it had been an hour prior when it was working and booting correctly. It booted me directly into the BIOS and when I hit "save and close" I ran into the "No bootable device found.....etc." message. This confused me because my pc was back in its old configuration that it had just been working in. I then proceeded to look up the error message and find possible solutions. I should also mention that I managed to update the BIOS via internet, so my motherboard should have then been able to support the 5800x. After spending HOURS looking online and trying possible solutions, it still was not booting into windows. I then decided to try and put the 5800x back in since I updated the BIOS. Once I did that, the computer would now post with the new CPU, but upon exiting the BIOS, it would give me the same message.

By this point I thought maybe something was wrong with one of my hard drives, but I have both a regular SSD and a Samsung m.2 drive. Both drives had separate copies of windows so I found it unlikely that BOTH had corrupted at the same time somehow. I even tried putting my roommate's m.2 drive into my computer to see if it would boot Windows. It didn't.

After hours of trial and error, we determined that the only thing it could possibly be at this point was the fact that the motherboard was old and not really recommended for newer processors. I gave up for the night and resorted to going to best buy the next day and purchasing an MSI B550 Gaming Plus Motherboard. I spent the next hour rewiring everything and changing the motherboard, only to turn my PC on, have it boot into the BIOS, and then present me with the same message.

By this point I was beyond frustrated. I even went as far as to assemble an ENTIRELY SEPERATE COMPUTER using the old motherboard, processor, my old 1060, old ram, and an old power supply. I hooked both of my drives that contained windows up to it and I was presented with THE SAME MESSAGE.

So I now have to separate computers with the same problem. I've thought maybe the processor I bought from my friend was faulty, but it was working in his computer up until I went over to his house and helped him take it out and put his new one in. There are no bent pins or anything. But even if the 5800x WAS somehow faulty, it still does not explain why my computer wouldn't work with my old CPU. I then started thinking that maybe it was because I was using an un-activated version of Windows, but this theory was quickly shot down by my roommate who reminded me that we had tried using his drive, which had an authentic copy of windows on it.

I am frustrated, disheartened, and completely out of ideas. I'm about ready to throw the PC and myself off of a bridge. I genuinely am baffled at this point. This is my last resort before caving and taking it to some computer repair place. PLEASE if anyone has any ideas or solutions I would be so grateful. Also here are my current specs.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
GPU: Gigabyte 3060TI
MB: MSI B550 Gaming Plus
RAM: 32 Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4
PSU: EVGA 750 G5 Supernova
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition

Please Help.

Mar 14, 2023
When you update a bios, all settings will be reverted to default.
The default boot target may not be what you want.

I appreciate the response, but "boot target" meaning what exactly? I tried directly booting off of multiple drives and its still giving me the same error. Its also doing it with a brand new mother board and I haven't changed/updated anything having to do with the BIOS on it. Thanks.

In the bios, you may have the option to select the boot drive.
The default may not be what you want.
It may not be the drive which has windows installed on it, but the boot manager drive.
If you installed windows on a drive, but had a second drive present, windows will place a boot manager on the second drive making that drive essential to booting to the main drive.

Mar 14, 2023
In the bios, you may have the option to select the boot drive.
The default may not be what you want.
It may not be the drive which has windows installed on it, but the boot manager drive.
If you installed windows on a drive, but had a second drive present, windows will place a boot manager on the second drive making that drive essential to booting to the main drive.

All three of my drives are present and connected. I've tried every permutation of booting from different drives. I even tried booting from a drive in my friends computer, which boots successfully in his computer, to no avail. I've tried changing the boot order, changing the default boot drive, even booting with multiple combinations of my original drives connected. Nothing seems to work. At this point I just don't know where to go.