Reboot and Select proper Boot Device?

XBlitz15

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2016
Hi,

I was just booting up my Gaming PC today, to which I got this message after the motherboard logo appears:
"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."

PC Specs:
i5-6500
MSI Z170A Gaming M5
16GB DDR4-2133 RAM
120GB SSD
2TB HDD
MSI GeForce GTX 980
600W PSU

I looked at the bios, and it says that my SSD on the SATA Port 1 was not being recognized, however it is plugged into my motherboard and PSU. However, my HDD was recognized in the SATA Port 2. My computer starts up normally; all my external components (mouse, keyboard, headset) are recognized.

What should I do?

Thank you.

Solution
I assumed the SSD was new when you said "How would the SSD have died in a matter of 10 hours?", An electronic component can fail instantly, and at any time. They design them to last a long time, but like anything, they can fail at any time and without warning.

XBlitz15

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2016

Hi,

How would the SSD have died in a matter of 10 hours? Is that possible? I tried unplugging/replugging the cables for the SSD to the mono and PSU and I still get the same message. I have a Windows 10 disc. My Windows 10 was loaded onto my SSD.

XBlitz15

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2016

UPDATE: My mobo now recognizes my SSD in the SATA 1 port. I am still getting the 'Reboot and Select' messages.

Should I insert my Windows 10 disc into my computer?

XBlitz15

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2016

This problem just started today. I have had this computer for over a year. It has always booted to my SSD. The HDD should not be the Boot Drive.

XBlitz15

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2016
UPDATE: I later determined through going into my BIOS, that there was no SSD selected for the UEFI Boot Drive; however, it was selected to a blank disc that did not exist. I selected to then boot from the SSD.

Thanks to all that helped.

I assumed the SSD was new when you said "How would the SSD have died in a matter of 10 hours?", An electronic component can fail instantly, and at any time. They design them to last a long time, but like anything, they can fail at any time and without warning.

Solution