Reboot and Select Proper Device Error After Moving HDD From Rig to Rig

l.kuzmicic

Prominent
Jan 17, 2018
Reboot and Select Proper Device After Moving HDD

So recently a friend of mine brought me his rig for a format to see if it would solve a problem in which the computer froze completely that forced him to do a hard reset everytime. I formated the rig and the issue persisted.

Thinking that the HDD might've been the problem, I decided to put a disk that was basically empty from my personal rig, to his (I of course formated the disk and installed windows on it). Unfortunately, this did not solve the issue, so I chose to put the disk back onto my rig.

As soon as I returned the spare disk to my rig, my SSD with Win 10 stoped booting. I find this weird because it is a totally unrelated drive that (at the time) I hadn't even moved. This is the second time I have gotten this error, the first time it happened with another disk but, suspiciously enough, it also occurred immediately after I installed that spare disk I initially mentioned onto the rig.

The SSD is brand new, and I've gotten this error with 2 separate disks, so I've no reason to believe it's an issue of the SSD itself. I am convinced that the problem will be solved by formating it, based on my previous experience, but I really don't want to go through that again.

It might also be worth mentioning that when connecting the SSD to the other rig, I have the same problem. Somehow, the OS seems to have been corrupted by the formated spare HDD?

Currently I am trying to get my hands on a Win 10 disk to use the system restore tools, but until then, I don't know what to do.

Thank you for your time.

Tanyac

Reputable
Was that "basically empty" drive in your system when you installed Windows?
It may have been the boot manager drive.
That would explain both the scenarios you mention.
Restoring your Windows 10 drive would also no solve your problem if the boot manager was indeed on the HDD.

Google "repair boot manager". Windows provides native tools to fix these sorts of issues, and they are a lot of tutorials and posts on how to do this.