"Reboot and select proper device" error when installing windows

PeterK116

Prominent
May 21, 2017
I'm trying to install windows 10 on a computer that I recently built, using a USB drive. I've literally searched for hours on how to get it to boot, but every time I turn the PC on, the same "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" prompt comes up...

The motherboard I'm using is an msi Z270 gaming plus, and I've already tried changing the boot order to no avail.

The ISO for windows was downloaded off the microsoft website, and burned to the USB using Rufus.

How can I get this message to stop coming up and just boot through the USB???

Solution
Hello... as a "simple test" do you have a spare USB2 stick?... you can use windows to make a Bootable FAT32 stick to try as a test?

Right click the stick and format- fat32 -make bootable, add MS-dos.
and try booting with it.
Hello... Did you click first 'format" USB stick Fat32 and click the box "add make/Ms Dos"system to the Usb2 stick in rufus?

You need to make the USB Bootable first for it be recognized as a "proper bootable device"

You need to add a basic OS files to the USB stick to turn it into a "drive"... and typical BIO's need a 16 or 32 bit files to read... FAT32 is good for that.

TRENDING THREADS