Reboot and select the proper boot device

Derekkbbn

Commendable
Aug 23, 2016
Hey guys. Got an issue here. I just received a new HDD from Newegg and installed it into my PC while I had my OS (windows 10) running on my older HDD. When I went to boot up my pc after installing, I get the error "reboot and select the proper boot device." I removed the new HDD, and still received the error. Rebooted and still the same thing. I'm pretty stuck here and it's the only pc I own so I can't really do much trouble shooting on a secondary pc testing the drives and what not. I have went into my bios and disabled all other boot devices to no avail, as well as resetting my cmos, and trying different sata ports and I still can't solve the issue.

My mobo is an msi z68a-g43 g3 if that's helps. I'd really like to get this solved asap so any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.

Solution
Hey there, Derekkbbn.

Check the boot priority option in your BIOS settings. Check if the drive is recognized there. If the mobo does not support hot-swap then you shouldn't have connected the new drive while the computer was running, as this could cause issues like the ones you're currently experiencing.

If you can't do anything to boot to Windows by using your old drive and you need your data, having in mind you don't have another test computer, I'd recommend that you disconnect the old drive and connect the new one in order to make a fresh install of Windows on it. When the installation is completed, turn off the computer and connect your old drive and boot to Windows, to see if it's recognized and if you can recover data and test...
Hey there, Derekkbbn.

Check the boot priority option in your BIOS settings. Check if the drive is recognized there. If the mobo does not support hot-swap then you shouldn't have connected the new drive while the computer was running, as this could cause issues like the ones you're currently experiencing.

If you can't do anything to boot to Windows by using your old drive and you need your data, having in mind you don't have another test computer, I'd recommend that you disconnect the old drive and connect the new one in order to make a fresh install of Windows on it. When the installation is completed, turn off the computer and connect your old drive and boot to Windows, to see if it's recognized and if you can recover data and test it.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how it goes.
Boogieman_WD

Solution