[SOLVED] Reboot before the boot?

Dec 8, 2020
Hi all,

I noted that every time I hit the power on button on my computer, it's try to boot for a few seconds (fans starts, some lights power on) and then its just power of for few seconds. After that it finally start to boot again.

I have recorded a video to show.

https://streamable.com/j15u1t

I have no idea what's going on and why it's kind reboot before it really boot to operational system.

Thanks for the help.

Solution
This is something uncommon. You will have to approach this systematically. Progress to the next step if the problem persists:

1. Remove non-essential peripherals and cards not required for this troubleshooting: PCI/PCIe cards (except GPU), USB devices (except keyboard), etc.
  2. Reset the BIOS: Unplug the power and remove the CMOS battery and/or short the clear CMOS pins for several seconds
  3. Isolate storage components: Disconnect SATA cables and/or remove NVMe drives
  4. Isolate graphics: Remove the GPU and try to boot using the iGPU
  5. Isolate RAM: Use one stick of RAM at a time and at different slots
  6. Re-seat the CPU
Better if you have spare parts that you can use for swapping components.... that will help drill down to...

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
Maybe you can provide more information about your system?

1. Specs?
  2. How old is it and when did it start doing that?
  3. What was the last thing you did prior to this?
  4. Have you done a BIOS reset?

Dec 8, 2020
Maybe you can provide more information about your system?

1. Specs?
  2. How old is it and when did it start doing that?
  3. What was the last thing you did prior to this?
  4. Have you done a BIOS reset?

Sure.

It's a asus z270h motherboard, i7700, 32Gb DDR4, GTX1080 TI.
Its a 4 years old setup. Unfortunately I don't know when it started to happen.
I never tried a bios reset but I do have it updated. (Directly from bios with ez flash)

OrlyP

Reputable
Aug 20, 2020
This is something uncommon. You will have to approach this systematically. Progress to the next step if the problem persists:

1. Remove non-essential peripherals and cards not required for this troubleshooting: PCI/PCIe cards (except GPU), USB devices (except keyboard), etc.
  2. Reset the BIOS: Unplug the power and remove the CMOS battery and/or short the clear CMOS pins for several seconds
  3. Isolate storage components: Disconnect SATA cables and/or remove NVMe drives
  4. Isolate graphics: Remove the GPU and try to boot using the iGPU
  5. Isolate RAM: Use one stick of RAM at a time and at different slots
  6. Re-seat the CPU
Better if you have spare parts that you can use for swapping components.... that will help drill down to the root issue.

Good luck!

Solution