[SOLVED] Reboot or BSOD when both slots occupied

Jun 9, 2020
When both my ram slots are occupied either the computer restarts or it bluescreens right after booting.

I've had this computer for quite a while now and the problem occurred just as me and my brother had finished building my PC. At first I thought one of my two ram slots were broken, and didn't feel like sending it back since he didn't want to help me with that, and I ended up buying a single stick and putting it in my "working" slot. Anyways, yesterday I updated the bios to my motherboard, and when the system rebooted it did the same thing that it did when I first got it kept on rebooting without anything happening, then I switched my stick to the broken slot which wasn't broken as it turned out. I then went over bought the exact same stick of ram that I had in my system already, and now every time I try turning it on, it blue screens right after I log in??? please help!!

- Extra detail, both times it has blue screened I waited at least two hours and still only 0% completion.

Specs:

CPU: Amd ryzen 2400g 3.60 GHz

Motherboard: a320m pro-vd plus msi

Ram: 2x g.skill Aegis 8gb 3000MHz

SSD/HDD: WD 1TB hard drive 7200rmp 3,5

GPU: Asus Radeon r9 280x 3gb

PSU: dont actually know this :( I know that it is 500W.

BIOS:

E7B38AMS.1GR

I am populating both slots.

Last edited:
Solution
Two 1x8 g.skill aegis 8gb sticks its not a kit just two of the same stick
Are you trying to use the XMP setting to run 3000MT/s on your DDR4 3000 modules or are you manually setting it? Try manually setting it to 3000MT/s, 1.35v and the primary timings as advertised on the kits using the looser numbers (higher) if they are different. If they are the modules that I think, their primary timings will probably be 16-18-18-38. Leave any other memory settings on automatic and try using the system as you normally would.

If you still get crashing, download and follow the instructions to install memtest86 to a flash drive and run the default 4 pass test with all modules installed. If you get any errors, stop the test and reset the...

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

Include the BIOS version you're on. Which slots are you populating on your motherboard? If you can, a link to your ram would be a good idea.

When both my ram slots are occupied either the computer restarts or it bluescreens right after booting.

At first I thought one of my two ram slots were broken, and didn't feel like sending it back since he didn't want to help me with that, and I ended up buying a single stick and putting it in my "working" slot.

Ok, so is this two different 1x8GB kits or a single 2x8GB kit?

Endre

Reputable

I've had this computer for quite a while now and the problem occurred just as me and my brother had finished building my PC. At first I thought one of my two ram slots were broken, and didn't feel like sending it back since he didn't want to help me with that, and I ended up buying a single stick and putting it in my "working" slot. Anyways, yesterday I updated the bios to my motherboard, and when the system rebooted it did the same thing that it did when I first got it kept on rebooting without anything happening, then I switched my stick to the broken slot which wasn't broken as it turned out. I then went over bought the exact same stick of ram that I had in my system already, and now every time I try turning it on, it blue screens right after I log in??? please help!!

- Extra detail, both times it has blue screened I waited at least two hours and still only 0% completion.

Specs:

CPU: Amd ryzen 2400g 3.60 GHz

Motherboard: a320m pro-vd plus msi

SSD/HDD: WD 1TB hard drive 7200rmp 3,5

GPU: Asus Radeon r9 280x 3gb

PSU: dont actually know this :( I know that it is 500W.

BIOS:

E7B38AMS.1GR

I am populating both slots.

Hello!

First of all, there’s a possibility that the CPU wasn’t installed properly (you could give it another try).

Secondly, AMD is pretty picky with RAM (unlike Intel).
Which means that you should ALWAYS buy a kit of 2 modules that is on the mobo’s QVL (qualified vendor list).

Borrow a memory kit (8GB+8GB) from someone and see if that solves the issue.
If it does, you’ll know what to do...

Jun 9, 2020
Hello!

First of all, there’s a possibility that the CPU wasn’t installed properly (you could give it another try).

Secondly, AMD is pretty picky with RAM (unlike Intel).
Which means that you should ALWAYS buy a kit of 2 modules that is on the mobo’s QVL (qualified vendor list).

Borrow a memory kit (8GB+8GB) from someone and see if that solves the issue.
If it does, you’ll know what to do...
Hi
I'll try it out later, thank you for the advice.

Reactions: Endre
Two 1x8 g.skill aegis 8gb sticks its not a kit just two of the same stick
Are you trying to use the XMP setting to run 3000MT/s on your DDR4 3000 modules or are you manually setting it? Try manually setting it to 3000MT/s, 1.35v and the primary timings as advertised on the kits using the looser numbers (higher) if they are different. If they are the modules that I think, their primary timings will probably be 16-18-18-38. Leave any other memory settings on automatic and try using the system as you normally would.

If you still get crashing, download and follow the instructions to install memtest86 to a flash drive and run the default 4 pass test with all modules installed. If you get any errors, stop the test and reset the memory settings to 2666MT/s and automatic settings, then run memtest86 again. If it still gives errors, run it again at 2133MT/s and with automatic settings. If it's still giving errors pull one module out and test them with memtest86 individually at their advertised spec and then at 2133 if they give any errors.

Solution