[SOLVED] Reboot problem with Seasonic GX-750 and MSI RTX 2070 Super

Oct 29, 2020
Hi All,

I recently purchased a MSI RTX 2070 Super Ventus OC GP. On some games my PC reboots so thinking that my 500W Xigmatek el cheapo PSU isn’t adequate I purchased a Seasonic Focus GX-750 (750W). Unfortunately my PC still reboots occasionally during gaming. Such reboots never happened with my previous GTX 1050Ti.

I know the problem is my PSU tripping and re-connecting because my mouse has a quirk of defaulting to low DPI when power is lost at the USB ports which means the whole PC power supply was interrupted. It does not change DPI when the PC is off normally or reset using the reset switch. I can stimulate the reboot by switching the wall outlet off and back on quickly which will reboot the PC with mouse defaulting to low DPI when it comes back on.

My CPU is i7-8700 and mobo is Asus Prime B360M-K with 16GB RAM. The CPU and GPU max temps are usually 80°C or less. Stress testing of CPU, GPU and RAM using OCCT found no problems. Nvidia drivers are not the culprit as testing with the latest and legacy drivers used with my previous GTX 1050Ti produced the same result.

My question is, is a 750W PSU still not enough for a RTX 2070 Super or is the problem somewhere else? Could the Seasonic OCP setting be too sensitive and tripping on transient spikes? My GPU draws about 200W max when gaming at 1440p and 400W max from the wall outlet. It doesn’t happen all the time, say 1 in 5 times playing GTA V and rarely in AC-Odyssey. Forza Horizon 4 and Doom Eternal are fine. What is it about GTA V which makes it so fickle?

Should I underclock or undervolt my RTX 2070 Super to alleviate the problem? What values should I use? Any help will be appreciated!

Solution
its unusual for a seasonic PSU to cause problems.
750watt Seasonic should be enough for a 2070 Super, its what is recommended I think. Its what I have.

I am not an expert on PSU but it could be something else at play. I will let the experts answer :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
its unusual for a seasonic PSU to cause problems.
750watt Seasonic should be enough for a 2070 Super, its what is recommended I think. Its what I have.

I am not an expert on PSU but it could be something else at play. I will let the experts answer :)

Solution