Rebooting problem and I don't know enough

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

I did a "compromise" and instead of getting a new system from Dell, with
whom I've had a lot of bad dealings, I had one built for me by
www.endpcnoise.com aka NW Computers in Vancouver Washington.

It has an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard, a 3.2 cpu chip and 1024
Kingston memory (2 512 dimms). Ami bios. Came with Windows XP Pro
installed, along with Office SBE installed. Both are OEM versions.

It seemed to run fine but as time has gone one, and I've begun loading
all my software, I'm having occasions of sudden rebooting which has
already corrupted an Outlook file which was open at the time of one of
the reboots.

Here's the scenario:

I use a cable modem for internet access and therefore, didn't get to try
out the modem until I installed WinFax Pro 10. It sent faxes fine. But
- when I received a fax, the modem made a strange noise and the system
rebooted. This happened 3 or 4 times.

I switched out the inexpensive modem it came with and replaced it with
my old US Robotics from my other system. It worked fine - faxes
received and no more reboots.

Today I installed my USB Palm and the newest software downloaded from
their website (actually it's a Visor Prism using the Palm 3.5 OS). It
synced ok. I installed a program I've used before which syncs with a
database. I synced again and everything was fine

I tried to sync again a while later and right in the middle, the system
rebooted. This happened twice. I've now plugged in the USB cable to
another port and synced a few times without a problem.....

I'm very disturbed because of the rebooting, which of course, will
corrupt data and since I do a lot of multi-tasking, leaves me very
vulnerable to data loss.

Even if a program showed some incompatibility, or a hardware connection
is bad, why does the entire system reboot? I could see if it hung - but
rebooting is kind of serious and leaves one very vulnerable.

Is there something I should check? Where do I begin?

Louise wrote:

> Is there something I should check? Where do I begin?

First, disable the option to automatically reboot in case of a stop
error. Second, use dumpchk.exe to analyze your minidump files to
determine the cause if the spontaneous reboots are indeed stop errors.

If you don't know how to do either of those items, try Google.

-WD

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <Nf3cc.6298$bP5.112@fe1.columbus.rr.com>,
wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid says...
> Louise wrote:
>
> > Is there something I should check? Where do I begin?
>

> First, disable the option to automatically reboot in case of a stop
> error. Second, use dumpchk.exe to analyze your minidump files to
> determine the cause if the spontaneous reboots are indeed stop errors.
>
> If you don't know how to do either of those items, try Google.
>

> -WD

Could you please let me know where I might find the option to
automatically reboot in case of a stop error? I don't exactly know what
search term I would put into Google for this.

I don't have a program called dumpchk.exe on the computer and I will
Google for that right now.

Thanks

Louise

"Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1ada7dc84703a7e3989688@news-server.nyc.rr.com...
> I did a "compromise" and instead of getting a new system from Dell,
> with whom I've had a lot of bad dealings, I had one built for me by
> www.endpcnoise.com aka NW Computers in Vancouver Washington.
>
> It has an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard, a 3.2 cpu chip and 1024
> Kingston memory (2 512 dimms). Ami bios. Came with Windows XP Pro
> installed, along with Office SBE installed. Both are OEM versions.
>
> It seemed to run fine but as time has gone one, and I've begun loading
> all my software, I'm having occasions of sudden rebooting which has
> already corrupted an Outlook file which was open at the time of one
> of the reboots.
>
> Here's the scenario:
>
> I use a cable modem for internet access and therefore, didn't get to try
> out the modem until I installed WinFax Pro 10. It sent faxes fine. But
> - when I received a fax, the modem made a strange noise and the
> system rebooted. This happened 3 or 4 times.
>
> I switched out the inexpensive modem it came with and replaced it with
> my old US Robotics from my other system. It worked fine - faxes
> received and no more reboots.
>
> Today I installed my USB Palm and the newest software downloaded
> from their website (actually it's a Visor Prism using the Palm 3.5 OS).
> It synced ok. I installed a program I've used before which syncs
> with a database. I synced again and everything was fine
>
> I tried to sync again a while later and right in the middle, the system
> rebooted. This happened twice. I've now plugged in the USB cable
> to another port and synced a few times without a problem.....
>
> I'm very disturbed because of the rebooting, which of course, will
> corrupt data and since I do a lot of multi-tasking, leaves me very
> vulnerable to data loss.
>
> Even if a program showed some incompatibility, or a hardware connection
> is bad, why does the entire system reboot? I could see if it hung - but
> rebooting is kind of serious and leaves one very vulnerable.
>
> Is there something I should check? Where do I begin?

It sounds like you got an excellent computer, except for the cheap modem.
Your problems could be bad drivers, but XP should be more stable than
what you've been seeing. You might want to make sure that everything is
up-to-date, your drivers and XP itself. And try running something that's
computationally intensive but doesn't use the modem, USB, etc. If the
system reboots then, it could indicate some type of hardware problem,
possibly heat-related. Make sure the heatsink is in good thermal contact
with the processor. Another hardware possibility is an inadequate power
supply, which can cause strange problems by letting voltages sag under
heavy loads. One last thought: If the problematic USB port was on the
front of the computer, maybe the cable was too long to support USB2
speeds (if that's what you were trying to use). I've only read about that.

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <c4rvva$2kin60$1@ID-66888.news.uni-berlin.de>, ldmnews1
@netassoc.net says...
> "Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1ada7dc84703a7e3989688@news-server.nyc.rr.com...
> > I did a "compromise" and instead of getting a new system from Dell,
> > with whom I've had a lot of bad dealings, I had one built for me by
> > www.endpcnoise.com aka NW Computers in Vancouver Washington.
> >
> > It has an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard, a 3.2 cpu chip and 1024
> > Kingston memory (2 512 dimms). Ami bios. Came with Windows XP Pro
> > installed, along with Office SBE installed. Both are OEM versions.
> >
> > It seemed to run fine but as time has gone one, and I've begun loading
> > all my software, I'm having occasions of sudden rebooting which has
> > already corrupted an Outlook file which was open at the time of one
> > of the reboots.
> >
> > Here's the scenario:
> >
> > I use a cable modem for internet access and therefore, didn't get to try
> > out the modem until I installed WinFax Pro 10. It sent faxes fine. But
> > - when I received a fax, the modem made a strange noise and the
> > system rebooted. This happened 3 or 4 times.
> >
> > I switched out the inexpensive modem it came with and replaced it with
> > my old US Robotics from my other system. It worked fine - faxes
> > received and no more reboots.
> >
> > Today I installed my USB Palm and the newest software downloaded
> > from their website (actually it's a Visor Prism using the Palm 3.5 OS).
> > It synced ok. I installed a program I've used before which syncs
> > with a database. I synced again and everything was fine
> >
> > I tried to sync again a while later and right in the middle, the system
> > rebooted. This happened twice. I've now plugged in the USB cable
> > to another port and synced a few times without a problem.....
> >
> > I'm very disturbed because of the rebooting, which of course, will
> > corrupt data and since I do a lot of multi-tasking, leaves me very
> > vulnerable to data loss.
> >
> > Even if a program showed some incompatibility, or a hardware connection
> > is bad, why does the entire system reboot? I could see if it hung - but
> > rebooting is kind of serious and leaves one very vulnerable.
> >
> > Is there something I should check? Where do I begin?
> >
> It sounds like you got an excellent computer, except for the cheap modem.
> Your problems could be bad drivers, but XP should be more stable than
> what you've been seeing. You might want to make sure that everything is
> up-to-date, your drivers and XP itself. And try running something that's
> computationally intensive but doesn't use the modem, USB, etc. If the
> system reboots then, it could indicate some type of hardware problem,

My old XP on a Dell was much more stable than what I've been seeing.....

I will do a Windows update - the modem problem appears to have been
fixed by replacing it with my old and very trust US Robotics - so maybe
that was just a faulty modem.

The cmos has a temperature reading for the cpu and the motherboard.
After running for several hours last night, the temps were:
CPU = 44C and 111F
Motherboard = 26C and 78.5 F

It's my impression these are ok - am I right?

Madeline

This sounds like a classic virus/worm issue more than anything. I had
it happen to me once under Win 2k and it turned out to be one of those
worms that was going around the Internet a few months ago. Google has
a lot of information on this. Get some updated anti-virus software
and spyware software and scan your system and make sure you have a
firewall!

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 01:18:01 GMT, Louise <none@nospam.com> wrote:

>I did a "compromise" and instead of getting a new system from Dell, with
>whom I've had a lot of bad dealings, I had one built for me by
>www.endpcnoise.com aka NW Computers in Vancouver Washington.
>
>It has an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard, a 3.2 cpu chip and 1024
>Kingston memory (2 512 dimms). Ami bios. Came with Windows XP Pro
>installed, along with Office SBE installed. Both are OEM versions.
>
>It seemed to run fine but as time has gone one, and I've begun loading
>all my software, I'm having occasions of sudden rebooting which has
>already corrupted an Outlook file which was open at the time of one of
>the reboots.
>
>Here's the scenario:
>
>I use a cable modem for internet access and therefore, didn't get to try
>out the modem until I installed WinFax Pro 10. It sent faxes fine. But
>- when I received a fax, the modem made a strange noise and the system
>rebooted. This happened 3 or 4 times.
>
>I switched out the inexpensive modem it came with and replaced it with
>my old US Robotics from my other system. It worked fine - faxes
>received and no more reboots.
>
>Today I installed my USB Palm and the newest software downloaded from
>their website (actually it's a Visor Prism using the Palm 3.5 OS). It
>synced ok. I installed a program I've used before which syncs with a
>database. I synced again and everything was fine
>
>I tried to sync again a while later and right in the middle, the system
>rebooted. This happened twice. I've now plugged in the USB cable to
>another port and synced a few times without a problem.....
>
>I'm very disturbed because of the rebooting, which of course, will
>corrupt data and since I do a lot of multi-tasking, leaves me very
>vulnerable to data loss.
>
>Even if a program showed some incompatibility, or a hardware connection
>is bad, why does the entire system reboot? I could see if it hung - but
>rebooting is kind of serious and leaves one very vulnerable.
>
>Is there something I should check? Where do I begin?

Isnt the machine still under some kinda WARRANTY???
I would of already have brought it back to the place of purchase for
repair or whatever needs to be done to it but for next time...

Build your own system! It doesnt require a PhD or even a two year
college degree... come to think of it, not even a G.E.D.... LOL!!!

You say you dont know enough??? Well, this is how we all learn... by
doing!

G'Luck to ya!

LY

By default XP restarts on a GPF, if you want to see what is causing the
problem try the following: :

Open the start menu

Right click on "MYCOMPUTER" (that's your "MYCOMPUTER" not mine J )

Click on "Properties"

Click on the "advanced" tab

Click the "settings" button in the "Start-up and Recovery" section

Uncheck the "Automatically restart" box in the "system failure" section

Click on "OK"

Click on "OK"

Now next time you get a GPF you will see a blue screen which will give
details of what XP believed caused the problem, now all you have to do is
find out how to fix it.

Hope this helps

glyn.j.evans

for e-mail. change the anti spam bit.