Rebooting when Booting?

Bohica

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2001

Occasionally my Win2k SP4 system will reboot just as it's almost finished
booting. When I start or reboot my system, right after Zone Alarm loads the
drive will go silent for a couple of seconds and then start up again. I
have no idea what it's doing or if it's starting another program etc., but
suddenly there will be a Blue error screen for maybe a half of a second -
much to quick to read and it will reboot. When it starts this cycle, it
will continuously do the same thing. The only way I've been able to get
around it so far is when it does this is to boot in Safe Mode and Reboot in
to normal mode.

Is there a way I can find out what's going on and what's causing the
continuous reboot?

My system:
Dell Dimension 8100 1.5GHz, 1MB RDRAM, Windows 2000 SP4 with all latest
security updates etc.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

BOHICA wrote:
<His Dimension 8100 system keeps rebooting when it's nearly finished
booting>

Any chance you're infected with the Sasser virus? Continual reboots are
supposed to be a "feature" of that one, apparently because of poor
coding on the part of the virus writer.

If you're sure you don't have a virus, I had a similar problem once on
my Dimension 4100. I managed to fix it (or at least it went away) by
pulling all the cards and memory modules from the motherboard, spraying
everything with contact cleaner, then reseating everything. (I think I
might have sprayed the various connectors from the motherboard to the
hard drive, CD-ROM drive, etc. as well, but it's been a while.)

No guarantees, of course, but it might be worth a shot.

Bob Pownall