Steam
Discord
Voicemod
Lightshot
iCUE
Brave
Shadowplay
Logitech Gaming Software

Some context, i completed my build back in December, shortly after that i tried setting up XMP and my pc wouldn't boot, i updated my bios to 1.80, activated XMP and was able to play normally for some time. I played some Red Dead 2 until my pc rebooted, no errors, no blue screens, at the time if i remember i got WHEA Loggers on event viewer if i remember correctly. Then i updated the chipset drivers provided by the ASRock B550M Steel Legend page (same page i got my 1.80 BIOS). After that i went to another house for the holidays and brought my pc with me, played a lot of Borderlands 3, Skyrim (With a lot of mods) and DOOM. I didn't have a single restart (if i remember correctly), i tought the problem was gone for sure. I stayed there from December 20 until January 20.

After i came back to my house, my pc would reboot again. in occasions like playing CS:GO, playing Minecraft with one friend while i hosted the server, sometimes while using the pc normally, and quite possibly others that i don't even remember. It was not as constant like before i, but frequent enough to ruin things. Same way as last time, no errors or bsod, just a turn off and on. But this time when i looked at my event viewer i got Kernel-Power ID 41 (63) and something about HID-compliant Headset.
I tried formatting my SSD, which was a thing i didn't do when i got that SSD from my last build, which was a Intel one. Formatted, installed drivers, chipset, openned CS:GO and it rebooted in the menu. Then rebooted many other times while playing it. I tried searching for that HID-compliant Headset thing, turns out it's also a thing that seems to cause the same exact restart, but for some people with some HyperX headsets, which i don't use. I have a Cooler Master MH752, but it does connect to usb like most of the HyperX ones with this problem. I looked on my device manager and this HID-compliant headset was there with a error symbol. After searching even more i found this video (it's in portuguese but you can see what the guy does) i did same exact same thing and it didn't work, still got reboots.
I kept searching and searching and searching. Found another post talking about PCIe cables on the GPU, i had connected only one PCIe cable witch a splitter to my GPU, which needed 2 6+2 plugs. So got my extra cable and connected it to the GPU, and removed both of my case panels to test if the problem was maybe heat related. Booted up fine, i played some CS:GO, no reboots. Did a benchmark test on GTA V with ultra settings, then played some GTA V. No reboots. A little time later i was troubleshooting another problem i got with my Oculus App for VR, i tried to repair the app and got a reboot (????). Someone suggested setting my PCIe slot to Gen 3. I tried that and got to play some games for maybe 2 days. Today i got a reboot on idle, and later on my pc froze while watching Twitch, it didn't reboot, but simply froze and my peripherals LED's all turned off, had to restart with case button.
So, what i tried so far:
  • Enabling XMP
  • Disabling XMP and setting everything to AUTO which puts my memory at around 2133 Mhz
  • Manually setting my RAM frequency to XMP value (3600mhz)
  • Turning off Core Performance Boost, which would not allow me to get into Windows.
  • Running a bunch of test programs like Prime95, MemTest (Which returned no errors)
  • Changing which power outlet i'm using
  • Connecting 2 PCIe cables to my GPU instead of one with a splitter
  • Checking all connections on motherboard and PSU
  • Messing around with that HID-compliant Headset thing
  • Maybe i even more that i don't even remember, i've been on this for 2 months now.
  • Setting my PCIe slot as Gen 3
  • Updating Chipset, BIOS, Windows.
One thing i didn't do is manually setting CPU or ram voltages, clocks or something like that. I don't know how these work, and the values i found on the internet were all for different hardware, and i don't know if it's safe.
Temperatures are normal too.
I can't even RMA my motherboard, CPU and RAM because i got them from Ali Express. And getting any kind of replacement from China while living in the opposite side of the planet is very difficult. I need to work this out. A friend of mine got the exact same combo of CPU + Mobo from the same store as i did and the same model of RAM (don't know which store), same PSU and also a 3070 but different model. His system is fine.

Reactions: Chillyblast
Solution
tl:dr

Short suggestions, assuming you've updated to the latest BIOS supporting Ryzen 5000 for your board:

Reset CMOS.

Do a proper CLEAN install of Windows 10.

Install chipset drivers you get from the AMD support page to be sure of getting the latest, with no extra bloat/scam/trash-ware included.

When setting XMP you can often help memory stability problems by increasing the memory voltage manually. Up to 1.4V max for long-term operation, although you could test it at 1.45V safely. Try to find the lowest voltage it remains stable at, though.

Short suggestions, assuming you've updated to the latest BIOS supporting Ryzen 5000 for your board:

Reset CMOS.

Install chipset drivers you get from the AMD support page to be sure of getting the latest, with no extra bloat/scam/trash-ware included.

When setting XMP you can often help memory stability problems by increasing the memory voltage manually. Up to 1.4V max for long-term operation, although you could test it at 1.45V safely. Try to find the lowest voltage it remains stable at, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krotow
Solution

frimano

Commendable
Feb 21, 2021

Reset CMOS.

Alright, i'll try setting RAM voltage to 1.4 and see if it helps. And try other things you mentioned in case it doesn't. Thanks