rebooting ....

Can someone please explain to me in simple terms why computers have to reboot
after installing anything?? Just curious .......

Computers don't *always* have to reboot after installing software...but when
they do, here's why: the installer needs to modify a file that is currently
in use. By rebooting, the file can be modified before the program starts or
before Windows starts.

If the installer needs to have the computer restarted, it will typically
display a message saying so. Otherwise, there's no need. However, many
people like to reboot after every software installation regardless, just to
make sure that their computer can, in fact, still boot and run successfully.
This probably not necessary, but there's no harm done.
--
Ted Zieglar

"Van" <Van@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can someone please explain to me in simple terms why computers have to
reboot
> after installing anything?? Just curious .......

Thanks Ted ..........

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> Computers don't *always* have to reboot after installing software...but when
> they do, here's why: the installer needs to modify a file that is currently
> in use. By rebooting, the file can be modified before the program starts or
> before Windows starts.
>
> If the installer needs to have the computer restarted, it will typically
> display a message saying so. Otherwise, there's no need. However, many
> people like to reboot after every software installation regardless, just to
> make sure that their computer can, in fact, still boot and run successfully.
> This probably not necessary, but there's no harm done.
> --
> Ted Zieglar
>

> "Van" <Van@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can someone please explain to me in simple terms why computers have to
> reboot
> > after installing anything?? Just curious .......

martin

Van wrote:

> Can someone please explain to me in simple terms why computers have to reboot
> after installing anything?? Just curious .......

Computers don't.

Computers based on Microsoft operating systems do.

Switch to *nix, you'll still need to reboot, but only for kernel
upgrades, not application upgrades