News Rebrand Sees Microsoft Office Become Microsoft 365

Status
Not open for further replies.

USAFRet

Titan
Rebranded, still works the same.
Buttons in different places.
Meh....

But DO verify your old Office vs new Office and 32bit vs 64bit.

We upgraded to O365 64bit at work.
Our previous Office 2016/2013 was 32bit.
Some functions within MS Access broke, and had to be "fixed".

Rebranded, still works the same.
Buttons in different places.
Meh....

But DO verify your old Office vs new Office and 32bit vs 64bit.

We upgraded to O365 64bit at work.
Our previous Office 2016/2013 was 32bit.
Some functions within MS Access broke, and had to be "fixed".
It's not just Access. Excel is a cause of incompatibility between 32-bit and 64-bit. If using 64-bit Excel and you use any of the extended numeric types (64-bit Long Int for example) that spreadsheet will not in any way be loadable by 32-bit Excel.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That has been a problem for as long as Office 64-bit has been around. You would be surprised how many people will ask for Office 64-bit and then complain when none of their 32-bit plug-ins work. I had one guy who insisted on Office 64 so he could pull down large datasets from a database, but then needed a separate computer running 32-bit to deal with the output.

I had to implicitly ask for Office 32-bit to work with an old Access based application. Hasn't burned me yet.

Reactions: KyaraM

USAFRet

Titan
Yes, Excel as well.

I'm in the process of fixing 2 Access applications where this failed. 1 just compelted testing after the rebuild, and the other is in progress.
The fix was rather easy...a couple lines of code in each api or dll call it failed.

Thousands of offices have small homegrown Access or Excel applications where this fails.

Interesting, or not so interestingly, none of the Access/Excel things that "I've" built have failed.
I wonder why...lol

KyaraM

Admirable
That has been a problem for as long as Office 64-bit has been around. You would be surprised how many people will ask for Office 64-bit and then complain when none of their 32-bit plug-ins work. I had one guy who insisted on Office 64 so he could pull down large datasets from a database, but then needed a separate computer running 32-bit to deal with the output.

I had to implicitly ask for Office 32-bit to work with an old Access based application. Hasn't burned me yet.
I had to deal with that bs at work last year or so... so annoying. And we didn't even switch to 365 yet -.-

Status
Not open for further replies.