Question Rebuild desktop

Yvonio

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2013
Hey everyone,

So today, my 10+ y/o motherboard finally gave up. I brought it to a repair store, but they weren't sure whether they could rebuild my desktop for me, so here I am, asking for your advice.

First, my current specs:
The desktop started as a Dell Inspiron 570, which I heavily converted over the years. Currently it's fitted with an AMD Radeon HD 7870 GPU; an AMD Phenom X4 II 965 BE; a CoolerMaster GX Lite 700w; a Kingston SSDNow UV400 240GB; SeaGate FireCuda 2TB SSHD; 2 sticks of Kingston 2GB 1066MHz RAM, and one stick of Kingston 2GB 1333MHz RAM. I also have a fan on my CPU, though can't find what type anymore.

Now, I'll definitely have to replace my motherboard; since I'm doing that, I probably might as well upgrade my CPU; my GPU's performance is still fine for most games, so I don't feel the need to buy a new one; if the RAM still fits on the new motherboard, that's great, but not required; and finally I'll be needing a new case to house it all in, as well. So please, kind people of Tom's Hardware, what motherboard, CPU (maybe a new fan as well), case (and possibly RAM) should I get? Thanks in advance to any and all helping minds!

WildCard999

Titan
Where are you located? I have a ASUS M4A79T-Deluxe board that I'm pretty sure still works and you can have it for free.

Yvonio

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2013
Where are you located? I have a ASUS M4A79T-Deluxe board that I'm pretty sure still works and you can have it for free.

Damn, thanks so much for the offer! I'm located in the Netherlands; I'll be hearing from my repair guy tomorrow, so I'll let you know. Of course I'll reimburse you for shipping costs if he tells me he can't fix it. Regardless of whether I'll take you up on it, thanks again for your kindness!!!

WildCard999

Titan
Damn, thanks so much for the offer! I'm located in the Netherlands; I'll be hearing from my repair guy tomorrow, so I'll let you know. Of course I'll reimburse you for shipping costs if he tells me he can't fix it. Regardless of whether I'll take you up on it, thanks again for your kindness!!!
I'm in the US so shipping to the Netherlands may be quite expensive but let me know how it goes.