[SOLVED] Rebuild my RAID 0 vs New SATA Hard drive VS a smaller capacity SSD

Sep 19, 2019
Hello, my RAID 0 recently had a failure with one of the drives throwing up an error in Intel Rapid Storage Technology. I clicked the option to suppress the error and I was so lucky to be able to back up my data (mainly VR games, PC games and Videos - large chunky files). I bought an 8TB maxtor external desktop drive to back up the data (superb Amazon Prime Now 2 hour delivery service!).

The RAID is 2 x 2TB Toshiba drives. One of the drives has definitely almost completely failed, I ran a test with crystal disk and it shows errors, I'm not able to access exactly what they are right now, but can do tomorrow if required. It's basically at count 1 which I understand is the last legs and I'm lucky to have got the backup.

My question is, should I buy a replacement Toshiba drive, which I can see on Amazon for £55 same drive 2TB and attempt to rebuild my RAID 0? If I did this, could I clone the damaged drive (assuming it stays alive long enough)? It is currently running okay as RAID 0 exactly as it has done before. So that is option 1, and I think I end up with a decent 3.7TB (ish) drive.

OR should I forget the RAID 0 and just buy a highly rated 4TB internal SATA drive and take out both Toshiba's. The working 2TB I could place in an external USB 3 casing and use it as an extra back up drive for photos and videos. Can never be short of backups.

OR should I just invest in a 1 TB SSD drive - there's a Crucial MX500 going for £110 or SanDisk Ultra 3D SSD 1TB for £113 then use my new 8TB external drive to keep Games and videos I don't access often.

My C: boot drive is 256GB M.2 PCIe 3.0 Samsung SM961 NVMe and I also have the same as a D: drive, which I use as a temp drive for when I do any Photo or Video editing. My motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 and so both m.2 slots are used up.

I would definitely like faster loading times with gaming. The RAID was fine for me. I just don't know what speeds I was getting with the RAID vs getting an SSD.

Any advice or guidance most appreciated.

Solution
You can't rebuild a RAID 0 with one failed member and keep the data.
At best, you backup ALL the data to somewhere else, add in a new drive, and recover the data from your backup.

Ultimately, though...RAID 0 is a mostly useless concept in the consumer space.
Speed easily beaten by any common SSD.

USAFRet

Titan
You can't rebuild a RAID 0 with one failed member and keep the data.
At best, you backup ALL the data to somewhere else, add in a new drive, and recover the data from your backup.

Ultimately, though...RAID 0 is a mostly useless concept in the consumer space.
Speed easily beaten by any common SSD.

Reactions: Zoltar76
Solution
The one good thing that came out of this is that you have a good backup now. SSD beats RAID on platters unless you are talking about space. Even then, the only RAID I would feel comfortable with is RAID 5. As to your current quandary, I might keep the good hard drive for games, and buy an SSD for Windows and your most-used apps.

Reactions: Zoltar76