Rebuild-no video. Did all tests, about togo MAC

madcircle

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
so frustrated. Spent last 2 months rebuilding PC with all new parts, and still getting no video. previous components worked fine for over 1 year.
I have checked graphics card and monitor on other machine and they work. CPU, MOBO, PSU, and GPU are all brand new. all i get is one beep, followed by 3 short beeps.

please help....

i7 940 core
Asus P6T Deluxe
Patriot 1333 ddr3 RAM 3x2GB
Sapphire 4780x2/5870 GPU ( i have both)
Corsair 850 W
Samsung HD 24"

mephiston1

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
1 Long beep followed by 3 short beeps is standard motherboard error code for a video problem. I assume you have tried using both video cards to test the system and you still get nothing? I'm very sure that your power supply can support all the above parts as my setup is similar to yours.

Check the PCI-E slot for dust or something? Chances are something is interfering with your graphics card causing it to malfunction

Are you trying to crossfire a 4870 with a 5870? You can't do that.

One long beep and three short usually means a video error, which I wouldn't doubt.

Or, if you weren't crossfiring but replacing one video card with another, you could be having issues if you didn't uninstall the old drivers from the old card.

Additionally, it sounds like you installed a new motherboard but kept the same hard drive. Did you reinstall Windows? If not, that's probably causing pretty severe errors at startup.

So right there are three or four things to check if you haven't yet.

madcircle

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
The video card is in the slot. There is no doubt about that. I do have a question about PCI-E cables.
my original card was a 4870x2 and had a 8-pin and a 6-pin connector which my previous PSU had a single cable connector to.

my new PSU (COrsair 850W) only has 6-PIN connectors with a 2-PIN attachment, but the new 5870 HD card has two 6-PIN connectors

do I attach cables to both connectors,or only one? With one connection, the fans spin a t a high rate, with two 6-pin cables attched, the fan and GPU is very quiet, just no BIOS.

so tired of this.

madcircle

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010

I am not SLI or Crossfire cards. I have a 4870x2, but since all hell has broken loose, i have a 5870HD to try as a back up since everything else has been replaced. I did get a new MOBO with old HDD. What do you reccomend as how to reboot Windows? and do i have to delete drivers? I would rather keep 4870x2 if it works. but as of now nothinbg works./

madcircle

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
OK, everything is working!!! I spoke to a PC pro, and he said to Boot up, then hit the reset button. Guess what??? Thats all I had to do to reset the graphics card. So as of now, everything is working. Thanks for all your help. :bounce: