[SOLVED] Rebuild - Replacement

dereckbc

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Background complete rebuild replacing MB, CPU, and Graphic Card. Reusing PSU and HDD with Win10 and adding SDD. Been 6 years since the last upgrade, so things have changed a bit.

I know how to transfer liscense and load Win10 on the new SSD. I think I know how to transfer apps from HDD to SDD. But where I am at a bit of a loss is after I have the new PC up and running with OS and Apps transferred to the new SSD. How do I clean up the ole HDD?

Thinking I just copy the WIN10 USER Folder to a Flash Drive, then format and partition off the drive. But something tells me that is not the right way to go.

Thanks in advance.

Dereck

Solution
Thinking I just copy the WIN10 USER Folder to a Flash Drive, then format and partition off the drive. But something tells me that is not the right way to go.
"something" is absolutely correct.
You cannot do that.

Nor can you transfer "apps".

Before you start with any hardware changes, save your personal data off to some other storage device.
This includes all your passwords, usernames, application serial numbers and logins....all that,

You do a full OS install on the new SSD.

This includes drivers as well.
After, you can start to reinstall whatever applications you use.

DSzymborski

Titan
Background complete rebuild replacing MB, CPU, and Graphic Card. Reusing PSU and HDD with Win10 and adding SDD. Been 6 years since the last upgrade, so things have changed a bit.

I know how to transfer liscense and load Win10 on the new SSD. I think I know how to transfer apps from HDD to SDD. But where I am at a bit of a loss is after I have the new PC up and running with OS and Apps transferred to the new SSD. How do I clean up the ole HDD?

Thanks in advance.

Dereck

You don't. With new hardware, you do a full, fresh install of Windows onto the SSD. The best practice on new hardware is a full, fresh install of Windows on the OS drive. And even if you did choose the ungodly mess route, you have to clone the entire drive; It's not a buffet where you can just move over what you want.

USAFRet

Titan
"something" is absolutely correct.
You cannot do that.

Before you start with any hardware changes, save your personal data off to some other storage device.
This includes all your passwords, usernames, application serial numbers and logins....all that,

You do a full OS install on the new SSD.

This includes drivers as well.
After, you can start to reinstall whatever applications you use.

Solution
for certain circumstances this works fine.
game saves, certain application's settings, etc.

any particular games or apps you may want to restore the user data for;
lookup exactly where this information is located and copy\paste that data only to the new OS on the new disk.

but you do not want to copy over existing OS and\or system information to the new drive if it's supporting a new motherboard, CPU, GPU, etc.

dereckbc

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
You don't. With new hardware, you do a full, fresh install of Windows onto the SSD.
Thank you, my bad I should have been clearer. I plan to do a full clean install on the SSD. I have a retail version of Win10. Once the apps and OS are on the SSD, I want to use the HDD in a hybrid configuration.

What I am not sure about is how to do thins. All my files are under Win10 USERS Folder on my current HDD. I am thinking copy that Folder on a Flash drive, then format old HDD then put my files on the clean old HDD.

dereckbc

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Thank you. Perhaps I misunderstand but I believe you can move MS Store Apps and Software like the MS Office Suite? Am I wrong? I understand other apps will not transfer. I can replace those at no cost. Just do not want to pay twice for MS apps I have already purchased.

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you. Perhaps I misunderstand but I believe you can move MS Store Apps and Software like the MS Office Suite? Am I wrong? I understand other apps will not transfer. I can replace those at no cost. Just do not want to pay twice for MS apps I have already purchased.
Items that are linked to your MS account (like from the Store) should be able to be reinstalled again.
Simply "moving them"....that is unlikely to work.

dereckbc

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Items that are linked to your MS account (like from the Store) should be able to be reinstalled again.
OK, I get it. THX. Works just like the OS, MS will reinstall a clean new copy, got it.

That gets to the heart of my original question. How to clean up and reuse HDD to store all my files that are currently on the HDD. I assume save everything under the USER Folder to a Flash Drive, clean HDD with a Format, and copy back my files.

You don't have to do that. When you reinstall the OS on the SSD with the HDD unplugged after that you can plug back the HDD and all the files you had in that drive will still be there. So no need to move anything from the user folder. You just go to the HDD after the reinstall of Windows and move anything you want etc. Pictures, music, savefiles etc. Apps will have to be reinstalled.

The files on your HDD will not disappear.

USAFRet

Titan
OK, I get it. THX. Works just like the OS, MS will reinstall a clean new copy, got it.

That gets to the heart of my original question. How to clean up and reuse HDD to store all my files that are currently on the HDD. I assume save everything under the USER Folder to a Flash Drive, clean HDD with a Format, and copy back my files.
Copy your personal files.
NOT "everything under the USER Folder"

The Libraries under each account in there is linked to that original account in the old OS. Permissions issues, while fixable, will arise.
If you copy just your personal files....no permissions issues.

And its not "MS will install a new copy". YOU do that.
It doesn't happen automatically.

dereckbc

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
When you reinstall the OS on the SSD with the HDD unplugged after that you can plug back the HDD and all the files you had in that drive will still be there. So no need to move anything from the user folder.
Thx but I must be overlooking something. I know the old files will still be on the old HDD. So will all the old applications and junk accumulated over 8 years on top of what I want to keep. So I am thinking to copy all the personal files, clean the old HDD, then put my files back on a clean HDD like new.

What am I missing?

THX in advance.

Thx but I must be overlooking something. I know the old files will still be on the old HDD. So will all the old applications and junk accumulated over 8 years on top of what I want to keep. So I am thinking to copy all the personal files, clean the old HDD, then put my files back on a clean HDD like new.

What am I missing?

THX in advance.

Everything as personal files can be saved somewhere before or you can move them after the OS reinstall. Just don't format the HDD before you do the files moving.

Every application you installed over the 8 years will still be there on the HDD but they won't work start. The reason why they won't work is because of the pathing and the registry. When you install a program it puts registry entries and let's say the program was installed on the C:\ well your C:\ will be D:\ soon. If you start a program installed on the HDD it will try to look at the C:\ and at the registry entries and it won't be able to find them. This is why applications needs to be reinstalled.

The HDD will be used as a storage drive the moment you plug it after the new OS install. You can just open the HDD after that and move personal files you want to your SSD before you format the HDD and use it as a clean storage drive.

Most important part is you moving the personal files you do not want to lose. Savefiles, documents, pictures, music etc.

dereckbc

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Everything as personal files can be saved somewhere before or you can move them after the OS reinstall. Just don't format the HDD before you do the files moving.
OK got that from the start. Save my documents pictures, spreadsheets, drawing blah blah on storage medium. I prefer to do that before OS installs on a Flash Drive.

Every application you installed over the 8 years will still be there on the HDD but they won't work start
Understood and expected. Why I want to wipe the HDD clean. All apps get a clean install.

The HDD will be used as a storage drive the moment you plug it after the new OS install. You can just open the HDD after that and move the personal files you want to your SSD before you format the HDD and use it as a clean storage drive.

THX and this is where I got off track and lost. It never occurred to me to do the file shuffle dance post-OS install.

dereckbc

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
The Libraries under each account in there is linked to that original account in the old OS. Permissions issues,
OK, I think the light went on in the attic and put everything together. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

1. Copy Document, Pictures, Music, and Movie file folder from HDD to an external drive. That is where all my files reside including drivers, accounts, and passwords. Everything anyone would want to keep.
  2. Boot PC on a Flashdrive with Win10 installer. install OS on new SSD. Follow up with loading Apps on SSD.
  3. Connect old HDD, Format it, and call it D:\ or something
  4. Load my files back onto HDD
  5. Go into Windows Library and tell it where my Documents, Pictures, Music, and Movie file folders reside.

OK, I think the light went on in the attic and put everything together. Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

1. Copy Document, Pictures, Music, and Movie file folder from HDD to an external drive. That is where all my files reside including drivers, accounts, and passwords. Everything anyone would want to keep.
  2. Boot PC on a Flashdrive with Win10 installer. install OS on new SSD. Follow up with loading Apps on SSD.
  3. Connect old HDD, Format it, and call it D:\ or something
  4. Load my files back onto HDD
  5. Go into Windows Library and tell it where my Documents, Pictures, Music, and Movie file folders reside.
that would work fine.
Bookmarks from your browser(s), any playlists you may have in WinAMP\MediaPlayer\VLC\etc, or anything similar can also all be exported to this backup drive.

once you have Windows freshly installed and everything loaded and arranged on the D:\storage drive you can right-click on those library folders within Windows(Music, Pictures, Videos, etc) and assign a new location to them.
so next time you'll already have all of these files stored on a separate location from the main OS\system drive.

dereckbc

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Bookmarks from your browser(s), any playlists you may have in WinAMP\MediaPlayer\VLC\etc, or anything similar can also all be exported to this backup drive.

THX and that has me thinking. I know where those files are stored at C;\USER\ME\AppDATA. I think all win10 PC use the same file structure. I had mentioned copying everything under C:\USER\ME but someone chimed in and said that would cause issues. The same folder as Documents, Pictures, Music, and Videos are located. Some other stuff like 3D objects, Contacts, Downloads, Favorites, etc.

USAFRet

Titan
THX and that has me thinking. I know where those files are stored at C;\USER\ME\AppDATA. I think all win10 PC use the same file structure. I had mentioned copying everything under C:\USER\ME but someone chimed in and said that would cause issues. The same folder as Documents, Pictures, Music, and Videos are located. Some other stuff like 3D objects, Contacts, Downloads, Favorites, etc.
The /User/You links to the actual user account in the old OS.

The files inside may not.
But you cannot import the entirety of /Users/You to a new OS.

File structure isn't the issue, permissions is.

Save the Files, not the whole /Users/ folder tree or Library.

you can always copy the entire "Users" directory for backup.
but you DO NOT want to just paste the entire thing back into your new OS.
you would need to pick and choose particular files and replace them one at a time as necessary.

for example;

let's say i have a game that is highly customized & modified by editing configuration files and save states.
this information is stored in my "C:\Users\user\AppData" directory.
i would not copy\paste that entire directory because it contains many OS installation particular files.
i would just copy that single game folder and move it over to the new OS.

the same with "C:\ProgramData";
i always keep a backup of this directory because it also stores many application's configuration settings and other user specific data.
but it also stores much more OS installation specific files.
so when running a new Windows installation i can just go and pick out those particular files i want to restore without replacing this entire directory.