[SOLVED] Rebuild/Upgrade 5+ yr old system Need Help

Mar 10, 2019
Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP/Next few weeks

Budget Range: $500-800 prior to shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Movies/TV/YouTube/Etc, Designing furniture (that woodworking hobby!)

Are you buying a monitor: Maybe. Have 2 and Open to upgrading one.

Parts to Upgrade:
Case: Thermaltake V5 Black Edition Mid-Tower Gaming Chassis VL70001W2Z (willing to upgrade)

Monitors: ASUS VG248QE 24" Gaming Monitor
Samsung ToC T220 22" 2MS GTG Widescreen LCD Monitor

PSU: CORSAIR TX series CMPUSU-750TX 750W

HDD: WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 2.5" 256GB Sata III MLC Internal SSD

Sound: Creative PCI Express Sount Blaster X-Fi Titatanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gbs/USB 3.0 ATX AMD

GPU: EVGA 03G-P4-2665-KR G-SYNC GeForce GTX 660 SC Signature 2 3GB 192-bit GDDR5

CPU: AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.2 GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Desktop

Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler Fan

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, NOT factoring into budget so ignore.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Parts Preferences: None. Had issues and success with both AMD and Intel.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: minimum of 1680x1050

Additional Comments: Currently have overheating issues and runs a bit loud.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Gave up gaming for few years. I picked Rust back up and after a few days of playing my computer quit loading it. I know 8GB is the bare minimum for a game like Rust so I figure 16GB minimum for new build. I want to upgrade my SSD, CPU, MOBO, and RAM mainly, but figure GPU will need an upgrade sooner than later. Case is meh, but it's fit well. Currently situated on carpet with bricks under for air flow with a fan behind it for cooling. I am no longer an part-time worker and full-time gamer so I'm not looking at top of the line. I'm looking to run Rust and other multiplayer games well without overheating or having low frame rates. And there's not a ton of space on the desk itself so not going crazy with larger monitors.
This will be my first self-built. The first time I built this and its subsequent rebuilt was done by two friends whom I paid with food. Cheers!

Last edited:
Solution
I'd say this as a rough outline. You can pickup an am4 bracket for the 212 evo for ~$15 to recycle your cooler. Your 840 pro is fine ssd and you wont notice a discernible improvement in speed on any new ssd including nvme. But if its capacity that you need, one can pick up a 1tb mx500 for ~$130 or a 1tb 660p for ~$110.

If you plan on overclocking, go for the ryzen 2600 and overclock from there. If you don't plan to overclock, get a 2600x for $20 more.

The RX 580 is a fine gpu(and comes with free games XD) and easily wins the budget battle, there are cheaper 4gb variants around, but many games exceed that, so the 8gb variant is more desirable. If you have the budget, a gtx 1070 or gtx 1660ti is a fine improvement over the...
I'd say this as a rough outline. You can pickup an am4 bracket for the 212 evo for ~$15 to recycle your cooler. Your 840 pro is fine ssd and you wont notice a discernible improvement in speed on any new ssd including nvme. But if its capacity that you need, one can pick up a 1tb mx500 for ~$130 or a 1tb 660p for ~$110.

If you plan on overclocking, go for the ryzen 2600 and overclock from there. If you don't plan to overclock, get a 2600x for $20 more.

The RX 580 is a fine gpu(and comes with free games XD) and easily wins the budget battle, there are cheaper 4gb variants around, but many games exceed that, so the 8gb variant is more desirable. If you have the budget, a gtx 1070 or gtx 1660ti is a fine improvement over the rx580.

IMO, go for whatever case you like with decent reviews.

Solution