[SOLVED] Rebuilding a rig for editing- thoughts?

LocalRipper

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
So I want to recycle as much as I can from my old build.
I'll list my parts and will gratefully receive feedback regarding problems I might run into.

Purchase case: NZXT H510i mid
Mobo: Asus P6X58D.
CPU: i7 920
Mem: Corsair xms3 6x2gb
GPU: Asus Invidia gtx1080 8gb
Purchase new ssd's.

Previously had 5 drives, OS temp and storage (raid 0 if I remember)

Thanks all.

Solution
This is an old system but, depending on what programs you want to use it for, it could work fine.
The best thing to do would be to look at the hardware recommendations for all of the editing softwares you plan to use and see if this system meets or exceeds those recommendations.
This is an old system but, depending on what programs you want to use it for, it could work fine.
The best thing to do would be to look at the hardware recommendations for all of the editing softwares you plan to use and see if this system meets or exceeds those recommendations.

Solution

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
I heard that editing can be pretty CPU intensive (depending on software), while your GPU is totally fine even in 2021 but the CPU is a bit concerning to me.
I guess like Alecerys said check your software minimum and recommended specs, that is where you want to look

LocalRipper

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Ok thanks folks.
The 920 was not the fastest i7 but not a real slouch either. I think it will get me by for a while. In 6 months +- I will think about mobo+cpu.
Running Adobe CS5.
Don't want to take on monthly subscription at the moment.
Might try DaVinci

Reactions: Why_Me