[SOLVED] Rebuilding Desktop for College - Small Form Factor Build

olgkd123

Reputable
Aug 20, 2016
Hello All!

I am going to be going to college here in the next few weeks and would like to bring my desktop with me as I do video editing as a side job. I would also like to play a few AAA titles while im there, such as GTAV and Arma.

I currently have an Obsidian 750D case which is absolutely MASSIVE and would take up way to much space in my small dorm room. I want to sell some of the componets from my current build and put together a powerful/yet small computer. Here are my current specs: Ryzen 1700X at 3.5 GHZ, EVGA 1070 FTW, Asus crosshair VI Hero, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2x8), Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 (500GB), 2x 500GB SSDs, 6TB HD, Corsair CX750M PSU, Noctua NH-D-15 SE-AM4 Cooler. I also have 3 Monitors, 1x 1440 29 Inch, 2x 23.5 Inch 1080p.

I want to be able to run these AAA titles at 60 FPS on my 1440P monitor and have one additional 1080P monitor as well. I have an additional 400 dollars I can spend on this project as well as the money I will make from selling my computer parts (if needed.)

I always come here since yall are the experts on PCs! Thank you for the help.

Sell your 2x500gb ssds, your mobo, and possibly your cooler if you want to go really small. Buy a mini its mobo, and try to get an rtx 2070 or 2070 super by selling your graphics card. Depending on how small you want to go, you might want to sell your hard drive for a larger ssd.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2019
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LKZHYT
Heres a list with a placeholder case. If you want, you can get an even smaller case which isnt listed on pcpartpicker, such as the Dan case a4 or Streacom DA2. But if you want to stick with the case in the list your current cooler will fit.
So you're saying that those components will fit into a dan case if he ever wanted to move into one? Personally, I want to do a dan build but I can't seem to find one available right now so I was hoping to do a build in a cheap placeholder case until I can find one.

Yes those parts should fit in a small form factor case like that as far as I know.
I wasn't able to find a dan case anywhere either except ebay, where it was extremely overpriced.
I can't find any cheap small form factor cases like the dan case, but if you don't mind the larger size, you can just get the case in the parts list for now.