Rebuilding my rig- what Windows key can I use?

Astralv

Distinguished
Hey there

I am rebuilding my computer. It has Windows 10 on it that was upgraded to all the way from Windows 8.0. Is there any way to reuse that key for the new system? (I am not disabling the old system, so I guess- no?)

If I can not use the key from old system, then I have unopened Windows 8.0 Pro OEM. All that talk about being able to unlock Win 10 with Win 8 key- The Microsoft did not let us register Win 8 key without computer. But I did pay for it, so what can I do with it now?

Thank you.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Setup a Microsoft Account and link your current PC to it , then backup whatever you want to save and perform a clean install on your new setup and activate it with your Microsoft account from within windows. Skip the key entry during setup and activate it from within windows with the registered Microsoft Account.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/
Create a USB installer here ^

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP4sAhmH_Oo"][/video]
[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ROoOkPWIM"][/video]

You've got some great directions above, however...

Every (non-enterprise) license that I'm aware of applies to ONE install. Some permit you to move your install from an old computer to a new one, but I am not aware of any that allow you to legally continue to use the same license on both computers simultaneously.

You need to purchase a new Win 10 license if you're planning to keep using both computers on a Windows platform.

USAFRet

Titan

You can't use it on the old system as well as the new system. One or the other.

Nor can you use an old 8.0 license, to upgrade that to Win 10. You can use that Win 8 on the new system, but not upgrade it to 10.

If you are simply upgrading a single system with the existing Win 10, then yes.
See the above links, or here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

You cannot use a single license on more than 1 computer. You can use the Windows 8 Pro OEM disc to install on the new computer, but you will need to use the Accessibility upgrade to get to Windows 10(if still available). The general free upgrade ended July 2016. For the installation of Windows 10, follow SR71's guide.

Astralv

Distinguished
Sounds like first recommended solution would imply that I disable old PC, right?

My lap top (not related to this) failed upgrade so I called Microsoft few days after July 29 and they told me to go on and continue upgrading and that it still active. But probably not now. May be I should call them? I can not find the number to call. When I needed to call about my lap top, I did something on Windows and the number to contact support was right there. Should I call?

I think the upgrade should be available for everybody who purchased the OS before July 29, not only those that actually upgraded PC. If I paid for it I should be able to upgrade. But I don't want to create mass on my new computer with installing Win 8, then upgrading and failing. And I am not comfortable to pay for it again- I already bought the license- I just had delay with building it. I am sure you sympathize, Microsoft does not.

USAFRet

Titan

There is no 'disable'.
As from the above links...you link this OS license to an MS account, rather than to specific hardware.
After the hardware change, go to the MS account and tell it about the new hardware.

Astralv

Distinguished
Um... it is already linked, isn't it? I have 3 Win 10 computers.

And what would happen with old hardware? Will it deactivate? It is separate entity- I am starting all over in the new case with new motherboard, SSD and processor. That is more than 3, so it is not really an upgrade.

USAFRet

Titan

Before any hardware changes...
Settings
Update and Security
Activation.
Follow the directions about the MS account

This links the OS digital entitlement to a MS account rather than to specific hardware.
After changing the the hardware, then you log in with that MS account, and look for "I recently changed hardware"
Again, follow the prompts.

For the 'old hardware'? That no longer has any link to any license. If you build up a new PC with that motherboard, you'd need a new license for it.
1 license, 1 PC (motherboard).

USAFRet

Titan

For which system is this for?

That article refers to an iffy situation. MS doesn't really check to verify the 'assistive technologies' thing.
But since there is no check...
I've not tried, but then again I have no need to.

BadAsAl

Distinguished

You can clean install Windows 10. Once you have tied your license to your Microsoft Account on your existing machine, you can change the hardware all you want. Then do a clean install of Windows 10 on the new hardware and either use your Microsoft Account as your user account and it will automatically activate, or set it up with a local account but use your Microsoft Account to activate it.

Astralv

Distinguished
I have 2013 computer with installed Win 10- upgrade from Win 8. I build new computer and I have Win 8.0 key for it (took me long time). I am looking for best way to end up with newly installed Win 10. I want to keep both computers running.

If Assisted install works the same as regular, I can use it. I wish I could avoid installing Win 8 and install Win 10 upgrade. I do not know what happens after I upgrade to Win 10. How do I take it out? Is there an option to reformat the drive if I want to install clean? Thank you.

USAFRet

Titan

If you get it fully activated with Win 10, however you get there, you can go back and do a full wipe and reinstall.
After activation, the system info is stored at MS hoome base. A full wipe and reinstall will simply activate again, once it is installed and you go online.

I did exactly this 2 weeks ago with my little Asus Transformer.
It initially came with 8.1. Then upgraded to Win 10.
Then a full wipe and reinstall of Win 10 to give it to my granddaughter. No problems.

Astralv

Distinguished
I assume- it was ASSISTED INSTALL method. My understanding of the article is that it still works the regular way as well.

So I will install Win 8 from DVD, right? And then when it activated, do what? Connect it to my account? Or do nothing?

Then I make bootable USB? (Any link for it handy, please?)

Then I start install. It will offer me to upgrade or do clean install? Will it offer the format drive? (In the past I had Windows created partition and would not get rid of it unless I did full format of entire drive (not just partition with OS).

USAFRet

Titan

Do the in place Upgrade the system from 8.1 to 10.
Verify it is actually activated.
After the initial activation with the upgrade, your system info is recorded at home base. That system has a 'digital entitlement'.

Then, with a USB created with the MediaCreation tool...
Boot from that, and it will give you the option of "Keep everything" or a whole, clean install. Presumably you want a whole clean install.
Do that.
When next it goes online, it will talk to home base and "Oh...I know this system. Activate yourself"
Done.

Huh?
Perhaps I missed something but it's no longer free to upgrade from W8 to W10. We had a one-year window which expired already.

AFAIK the spare Windows 8 Pro key is only usable to install Windows 8 Pro.

Have you upgraded W8 to W10 for free after the one-year deadline?

USAFRet

Titan

And he was talking about the "assistive technologies" thing.
Apparently, that still works.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

Astralv

Distinguished
Hey there

I have an update. Apparently, we forgot that Windows 8 can not be installed on Kaby Lake processors. I began the installation and it was not able to proceed because it could not see my M.2 Samsung SSD and was asking for the driver that it could not read when provided.

When I changed to Win 10, it has no issues and installed on the first try. Surprisingly, it took Win 8 key and activated Win 10. I did not have to use "assistive technologies"- nothing. It is possible that it registered the Win 8 key before it was able to install the Win 8- I had to input it to begin Win 8 installation that I did not finish. One way or another it is working so far. Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS