[SOLVED] Rebuilding PC

Mark_Tilbrook

Commendable
Jul 11, 2017
So, I am moving country for a brief period of time so I have decided to rebuild a PC. I was thinking of just taking my 980ti and my ram which is the Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200. So I will be rebuying the case the Corsair 270R. Now, I was thinking I currentely have the Ryzen 7 3700x with MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON. I was thinking of rebuying the ryzen because I feel like taking off the fan is a big job and I might mess something up. and I was thinking of buying the
ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus ATX to pair it with. What do you think about all this? I am also just thinking of keeping the standard ryzen fan and getting some noctua case fans, but maybe this is not worth it? Also, what SSD and PSU should I get, someone said
ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB M.2 is worth getting. So basically, am I being silly with any of my choices? what would be a better idea or better components to get? Thanks so much for your help! sorry for long post

edit: i am also looking for a good value 1440p 144+hz monitor. I am yet to experience it and I heard its worth it. What do you recommend? If i dont get the case fans ill have like 500GBP left hoping to get a new monitor.

Last edited:
Solution
I am moving country, I will be taking my GPU and RAM. The rest of the items I will be rebuying. What do you think of this build? Would you change anything?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b46fDx
Not bad, I changed your SSD, removed the Wraith Max since the 3700x comes with a decent cooler if you don't overclock, and added a PSU.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($298.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($159.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.99 @...
I am moving country, I will be taking my GPU and RAM. The rest of the items I will be rebuying. What do you think of this build? Would you change anything?

Looks good... I would drop the Wraith Max cooler and just use the stock cooler (Wraith Prism I believe with a 3700X) as that is enough for that cpu (It's only a 65 watt part).

If that frees up a bit of money I would look at getting a 1tb NVME drive instead of 512.... with the size of modern games you can fill up a 512gb drive pretty quickly these days.

Otherwise motherboard, ram psu etc all look good.

Not bad, I changed your SSD, removed the Wraith Max since the 3700x comes with a decent cooler if you don't overclock, and added a PSU.
PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($159.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6 GB Video Card
Case: Corsair 270R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ B&H)
Total: $848.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-27 08:16 EDT-0400

You will get more utility out of having a 1TB SSD for only a couple extra dollars than the 512GB SSD. Also changed the motherboard to Tomshardware best budget X570 pick.

Solution

Mark_Tilbrook

Commendable
Jul 11, 2017
PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6 GB Video Card
Case: Corsair 270R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ B&H)
Total: $848.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-27 08:16 EDT-0400

You will get more utility out of having a 1TB SSD for only a couple extra dollars than the 512GB SSD. Also changed the motherboard to Tomshardware best budget X570 pick.
Thanks very much, also, for a new GPU, is it better to wait? I dont know if anything new is coming out in the next year. I cant afford one now but I feel like it is time to upgrade. Otherwise, what would you recommend getting? or waiting. Thanks

Mark_Tilbrook

Commendable
Jul 11, 2017
Looks good... I would drop the Wraith Max cooler and just use the stock cooler (Wraith Prism I believe with a 3700X) as that is enough for that cpu (It's only a 65 watt part).

If that frees up a bit of money I would look at getting a 1tb NVME drive instead of 512.... with the size of modern games you can fill up a 512gb drive pretty quickly these days.

Thanks very much, also, for a new GPU, is it better to wait? I dont know if anything new is coming out in the next year. I cant afford one now but I feel like it is time to upgrade. Otherwise, what would you recommend getting? or waiting. Thanks

The 980ti is still a decent card. You would really need to go for at least an RTX 2060 or RX 5700 series card for the upgrade to be worthwhile (the 980ti is roughly the same performance as a 1660 Super - which is still a strong card).

I would wait, both AMD and nVidia have new gpu's due out this year. AMD are launching RDNA 2.0 (RX 6000 series) which is supposed to be a big improvement over the current cards (which are already pretty decent) and nVidia have the next generation of the RTX series with a move to 7nm manufacturing so those should be a pretty big upgrade as well.

The 980Ti is about as fast as a GTX 1660. https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2456?vs=2141 It will be fine for 1080p but suffer in 1440p.

edit: I agree with the comment above mine by @cdrkf about waiting for the next generation of cards to come out.

Reactions: cdrkf
i am also looking for a good value 1440p 144+hz monitor. I am yet to experience it and I heard its worth it. What do you recommend? If i dont get the case fans ill have like 500GBP left hoping to get a new monitor.
If you are going to go 1440p, look at going 3440x1440 instead of 2560x1440. The MSI Optix MAG341CQ is a good budget ultrawide. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pD...cq-340-3440x1440-100hz-monitor-optix-mag341cq https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/msi-optix-mag341cq-curved-ultra-wide-gaming-monitor,5959.html
Having an ultrawide monitor myself, I can tell you it is far nicer than a regular wide screen.

Mark_Tilbrook

Commendable
Jul 11, 2017
If you are going to go 1440p, look at going 3440x1440 instead of 2560x1440. The MSI Optix MAG341CQ is a good budget ultrawide. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pD...cq-340-3440x1440-100hz-monitor-optix-mag341cq https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/msi-optix-mag341cq-curved-ultra-wide-gaming-monitor,5959.html
Having an ultrawide monitor myself, I can tell you it is far nicer than a regular wide screen.
Thanks very much! Does ultrawide look weird on any games or anything?

Thanks very much! Does ultrawide look weird on any games or anything?
Most AAA titles already support the resolution and it adds extra field of view. Those games that don't support it can still be run in the 2560x1440 resolution, you will just have black bars on the sides of the screen. For productivity work it is awesome. I have a quad 1080p monitor setup at the office, but since we are working from home I only have the 1 monitor. I am able to have 3 different things open at 1146x1440 resolution on my monitor so I don't lose out very much on what I have from the office.

Mark_Tilbrook

Commendable
Jul 11, 2017
Most AAA titles already support the resolution and it adds extra field of view. Those games that don't support it can still be run in the 2560x1440 resolution, you will just have black bars on the sides of the screen. For productivity work it is awesome. I have a quad 1080p monitor setup at the office, but since we are working from home I only have the 1 monitor. I am able to have 3 different things open at 1146x1440 resolution on my monitor so I don't lose out very much on what I have from the office.
Thanks, and last question, I dont plan on overlocking so ill be sticking with ryzens stock cooler, but is there any benefit to getting
Noctua NF-A12x25 (2 of them) and installing them? or would it be better to save that money for a new monitor or gpu in the future? or perhaps scrap the system fans and get the noctua cpu fan instead since the price is kind of the same as 2 system fans.

Mark_Tilbrook

Commendable
Jul 11, 2017

I have saved some money so I will be getting the 1tb SSD, thanks. Do you recommend the WD one below? Also, do you think it is worth getting some noctua system fans(i was thinking of buying 2, or do you think it would be better to spend that money on something else, maybe a noctua cpu cooler? I dont plan on overclocking but surely cooler is just better in general if i can make it that way? Thanks

I have saved some money so I will be getting the 1tb SSD, thanks. Do you recommend the WD one below? Also, do you think it is worth getting some noctua system fans(i was thinking of buying 2, or do you think it would be better to spend that money on something else, maybe a noctua cpu cooler? I dont plan on overclocking but surely cooler is just better in general if i can make it that way? Thanks

That WD drive is good value and has moderate performance for an NVME drive. You can get faster drives if you spend a bit more- something like the Samsung 970 Evo for example, but those do add another £50 to the cost for the same capacity.

For reference I run on an Intel 660p NVME (one of the 'slowest' at 1800 MB/s) and the performance is very good (still 3x the throughput of a fast Sata ssd) so I think you'll be fine with the WD drive as it's faster than an Intel 660

The case only comes with 1 preinstalled 120mm exhaust fan. I personally would say you would want to have 2 intake fans as well. Those Noctua's are quite nice, but also quite expensive @ $30/fan. I have had very good luck with the Enermax UC-12EB's and the Fractal Design X2 GP-14's