Rebuilding RAID 0 (Mirror)

nick003

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
Good Morning.

I am currently using an HP 580T as my desktop which I purchased around 2011. The original configuration included a pair of 1TB SATAs with a RAID 0 configuration (mirror).

Recently, one of the volumes began to fail. I purchased a pair of 2TB SATAs so that I cold rebuild the mirror and double my storage.

The 2TB drives are recognized by the controller (actually 1.8TB).

I installed the ONE of the new 2TB drives and the system completed the rebuild without incident. Upon completion, I installed the second 2TB drive and again, completed the rebuild without incident.

I noticed something last night; the 2TB mirror shows only a capacity of 1TB.

Question: How do I restore the mirror to reflect the actual storage available?

Nick

kanewolf

Titan
First if you have a mirror you are running RAID 1 not RAID 0. A disk failure on RAID 0 would not be recoverable. How and if you can expand your volume to the full size of the two disks will depend on how you created the volume, hw raid card, sw raid, motherboard raid... You may not be able to expand your current volume. You may only be able to create a new second volume.

You have to set up a new raid 1 volume with the new 2TB disks, and then copy the data from the old raid 1 volume. Doing what you did, just took the 1TB mirror, and placed it onto new drives - even though they are 2TB drives, the raid configuration is set to 1TB.

nick003

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
Yes... when I went into the utility on the controller card, I can separate the two volumes. I agree; the way to do this is to create a new RAID to the full 2TB and then restore the files. But if I use a Windows back image to restore, won't I have the same problem?

kanewolf

Titan

Depends on the imaging software. Many allow you to restore to a larger volume and the restore fixes everything.

nick003

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
Ok... I've removed the RAID1 and disconnected one of the drives. Then, within Windows, I EXTENDED the drive volume as there was now the system was showing the missing 1TB.

Then, I reconnected the second drive. The controller immediately recognized the second drive. When I selected the option to configure the drives to RAID1, the status immediately changed to "MIGRATE".

When Windows started, the controller software immediately showed "data migration in progress". So far, we're at 50.1%.

I'll post the results when completed.