Question Rebuilt PC - Weird Power Behavior

Dec 30, 2020
Hi guys - recently did a total rebuild of my rig and it seems like there are some weird things going on around boot, idle, and shutdown that I can't figure out.

On startup, as soon as W10 starts to boot, there is a moment where the case fans and some peripherals (e.g. my RGB keyboard) lose power for a second or two, but then the power returns and Windows boots normally. The monitors stay on through all of this.

If I leave the PC idle for more than about 1h it seems to lose power completely. I thought it might just be hibernating, but when I checked event viewer it shows me a kernel power error, "the system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first," so clearly something is up here.

Finally, shutdown seems to "hang." Windows will close as normal and the monitors will go to sleep, but the system fans, peripherals, and GPU fans will stay on for ~5-10 minutes. There even seems to be some HDD activity judging by sounds and the flashing of the HDD LED on my front panel. Shutdown seems to be "normal" from Windows' PoV as there have not been any kernel-power errors when I've checked.

My BIOS and Chipset drivers are up-to-date, everything listed is brand new. I have not done a clean install of Windows, which I suspect is probably what my first step should be, but I wanted to see what y'all had to say before I had to go through that headache. Thanks for the help.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Noctua NH-D15 for cooling. No OC.
GPU: PNY RTX 3070 XLR8 REVEL
MOBO: GIGABYTE X570 GAMING X
RAM: G.Skill RipJaws V Series 2x8GB PC4-28800 DDR4 3600
PSU: EVGA 220-G3-0750-X1 Super Nova 750 G3, 80 Plus Gold 750W

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS