Question Rebuilt PC won’t turn on!

Nov 29, 2020
I built my PC this Saturday evening and it worked fine. I had everything installed already, such as windows and drivers etc. On Sunday I decided to sort out the wires as I left it a mess. I plugged it in and it was still working fine, the GPU stopped working twice but the problem was sorted after removing and plugging in the wires on both end.

Then I had a sudden realisation I may have left an extra standoff in the case. So I removed the GPU, took out all the cables and lifted it just enough to see the standoffs and could only count the amount needed. Although I don’t reminder taking the extra one off!

After I put all the cables back in, it now won’t turn on. There’s no life what so ever to the PC and I can’t figure out how. I’ve checked the 8 pin and 24 pin connector, checked the front panel connectors are right. I’m now worried I might have fried my mother board (did this with my partner, maybe one of us forgot to ground ourselves at one point?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Specs:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/PB8qdD

Nov 29, 2020
I just tried switching it on again and the LED light on the motherboard doesn’t come on so I assume it it might be shorting on the case? Maybe we didn’t install it back on properly. Will completely rebuild soon to see if it fixes it.

Hope it’s nothing to do with the CPU. Think I bent a pin when installing it first time but then again, it ran without a problem before?

Nov 29, 2020
It’s up and running again! I rebuilt the whole thing and turns out I somehow left out the “reset sw” connector. Once I plugged the front panel connectors back in, I plugged the 8 pin and 24 pin and it switched on fine with the msi debug led light shower dram problem. Which made sense, as I didn’t install the ram to test at that point.

Anyway, feel like an idiot. Thought I had put all the cables back on but it’s a my first build so I’ll hopefully learn from it. Thank you for the help!

Reactions: nofanneeded

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
It’s up and running again! I rebuilt the whole thing and turns out I somehow left out the “reset sw” connector. Once I plugged the front panel connectors back in, I plugged the 8 pin and 24 pin and it switched on fine with the msi debug led light shower dram problem. Which made sense, as I didn’t install the ram to test at that point.

Anyway, feel like an idiot. Thought I had put all the cables back on but it’s a my first build so I’ll hopefully learn from it. Thank you for the help!

It was not the reset switch connector .. the PC runs without it . many cases dont have the reset button

It was either loose parts or backplate not fixed good after you moved it , or any shortning with the case.

Thats why I adviced you to reinstall it all from zero again ...

Reactions: BobaHoe

TRENDING THREADS