Reputable
Apr 2, 2017
System Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950x
Motherboard: MSI X570 MEG ACE
RAM: G.Skill 2x 16GB
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080
Boot Drive: Samsung 980 Pro 2tb m.2
1 additional M.2 drive, 2 Sata SSDs, all without any boot partitions.
PSU: EVGA 850w 80+ Gold

Took apart my PC's water cooling and installed a complete new water cooling system. The water cooling has no leaks, an Alphacool pump-reservoir combo and a triple 120mm radiator.
When I turn it on, the RGB lights come on but it won't boot into windows. I've used multiple monitors and confirmed the monitors and the cables are not the problem. The GPU is not the problem either as I can get it to boot into the BIOs by pressing the CMOS button to clear the CMOS and bring up the BIOS. All of the components are recognized in the BIOS.

I did notice that the Displayport connection creates a sparkle-like effect on the screen, but using HDMI does not cause that. This is when connecting to the HP Omen X 27 monitor.

To be sure it wasn't my SSD, I have an old SSD that I had cloned onto my 980 pro, so I swapped the 980 pro for my old boot drive(Crucial 1TB) and still no dice. I've since put the 980 pro back in.

I tried going into M-Flash to update the BIOS, but the PC won't recognize that a USB drive is connected. I've tried all the ports, even the front panel connector, but it won't load the drive.

One other detail is that when I load the "motherboard details" page, it shows that the fan headers are occupied by fans, and the pump header, but the CPU fan header doesn't recognize that a fan is plugged in. I have tried two different multi-fan splitters, one that came with the Fractal Design case I have, and another from Deepcool I had in storage, and both of them don't cause the BIOS to display that the CPU fan header socket is occupied.

Solution
I figured it out. Firstly, fans in the two fan hubs would spin up and run properly even though motherboard information said it was empty. I plugged in just a fan to the CPU fan hub and that didn’t work.

Then I learned a 64gig stick can’t be formatted as fat32, so I formatted an SD card and was able to update the bios with that and it booted properly.

I didn’t think the bios would be the problem because I was running fine before I took the system apart, but I guess somehow the bios got rolled back to the factory default or something.

Situation is solved now.

DagonX

Reputable
Apr 2, 2017
I figured it out. Firstly, fans in the two fan hubs would spin up and run properly even though motherboard information said it was empty. I plugged in just a fan to the CPU fan hub and that didn’t work.

Then I learned a 64gig stick can’t be formatted as fat32, so I formatted an SD card and was able to update the bios with that and it booted properly.

I didn’t think the bios would be the problem because I was running fine before I took the system apart, but I guess somehow the bios got rolled back to the factory default or something.

Situation is solved now.

Solution