Rebuilt PC won't start up: New Mobo, CPU, GPU, RAM, Cooler

sdgeiger

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2014
Hello, My son had spilled water on his old gaming PC, and after a while it stopped working. I bought the following brand new:

ASUS ROG Maximus XI HERO (WI-FI)
Intel I7-8700K
Corsair H100i
G.Skill TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (DDR4 3200)
Geforce GTX 1060

The only parts I saved from the old machine were:

SeaSonic - 650 W 80+ Gold Certified power supply
Cooler Master HAF 922 case

I turn on the power and I see some lights on the Mobo. (one light right below the 4 pin ATX connector which I am not using.
I press start on the case - nothing happens. I then pressed started on the Mobo - nothing happens.

The fans are not moving. The CPU is not starting. I'm getting no sounds whatsoever.

While installing the 8-pin ATX to the Mobo, I noticed that the cable would not fit all the way. No matter how hard I pressed, it would not click into place.

Although I have built PC's in the past, I still consider my PC building knowledge as basic.

I've gone through and checked all the connectors again, but everything seems ok. I don't have ideas on what to check next. I'm close to giving up, so I thought I'd check here first.

sdgeiger

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2014

Thanks. Although my wires are all black, I was able to follow this diagram and determine the green and black wires:

http://support.antec.com/support/solutions/articles/1000015319-is-my-power-supply-dead-the-paperclip-test

Anyway - the PSU fan starts for a second and then shuts off. I've ordered a new one. Hopefully that is the only problem. At this point, the only thing that I haven't replaced is the case. lol.