[SOLVED] Reccommended processor?

EmptyCoconut

Prominent
Jun 9, 2019
I plan on upgrading my CPU and motherboard in the near future but I'm struggling to figure out which processor would be the best deal. My budget is flexible, but I'd prefer not to spend much more than $300. I've got the Ryzen 7 2700x, AMD Threadripper 1900x, and the upcoming third gen Ryzen processors on my mind (I don't care for brand only for pricing and performance). I'd love to get my hands on one of the upcoming ryzen processors, but I'm unsure about the price of the motherboards.

Solution
Well, the X470 and B450 boards will be branded as "Ryzen 3000 compatible" if the motherboard is compatable with Ryzen 3000 CPUs out of the box.

If the board is not "Ryzen 3000 compatable" and needs a bios update:
  1. For boards without Bios flashback: You will need to get a Ryzen cpu or a $45 athlon 200ge to update the bios via USB.
  2. For boards that support bios flashback: You can update the bios via USB without a cpu.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
FYI some motherboard makers have already verified which of their already available boards will be ryzen 3xxx ready. you could get one of those and eliminate the variable of motherboard pricing.
what speed DDR4 do you have now?

EmptyCoconut

Prominent
Jun 9, 2019
FYI some motherboard makers have already verified which of their already available boards will be ryzen 3xxx ready. you could get one of those and eliminate the variable of motherboard pricing.
what speed DDR4 do you have now?
I currently have ddr3 so I will be upgrading the ram as well.

What is your budget and what do you intend to do with this CPU?

I would wait untill ryzen 3000 launches to see how ryzen 3000 performs, how current gen cpu pricing is affected, and how x570 is priced.

By the way, Ryzen 3000 cpus can work in existing b450 x470 boards with a bios update. B450 boards start at around $70 or less.

EmptyCoconut

Prominent
Jun 9, 2019
What is your budget and what do you intend to do with this CPU?

I would wait untill ryzen 3000 launches to see how ryzen 3000 performs, how current gen cpu pricing is affected, and how x570 is priced.

By the way, Ryzen 3000 cpus can work in existing b450 x470 boards with a bios update. B450 boards start at around $70 or less.
I'd prefer not to spend more than $700 on pc upgrades. My computer is for productivity and gaming. Reading some of the comments on b450/x470 boards some of them say "you will need to perform a BIOS update with a currently compatible processor ". Would that mean I'd need to already have a ryzen processor? I'm currently using intel.

Well, the X470 and B450 boards will be branded as "Ryzen 3000 compatible" if the motherboard is compatable with Ryzen 3000 CPUs out of the box.

If the board is not "Ryzen 3000 compatable" and needs a bios update:
  1. For boards without Bios flashback: You will need to get a Ryzen cpu or a $45 athlon 200ge to update the bios via USB.
  2. For boards that support bios flashback: You can update the bios via USB without a cpu.

Solution