[SOLVED] Reccuring BSOD

Riskyhsn

Commendable
Nov 2, 2019
So my pc has a problem with recurring BSOD that always comes back even after I clean install windows and it usually would last a month before it BSOD again and a lot of it is Kernel Data Inpage Error, Unexpected Store Exception, and Critical Process Died.

It's really random but mostly when I play games on the SSD and after BSOD once, my pc would BSOD at any time regardless of whether I'm playing games or not, and some other times I couldn't even get into windows.
The thing is my SSD is running fine when it is working and the speed is as advertised. And yesterday I tried some online fixes like chkdsk /f /r and SFC scannow it does have some errors and windows tried to fix it and it runs fine until now.

As of now, I'm using my other SSD with a clean install, and another thing is whenever pc BSOD the said SSD won't recognize in bios until I shut down my pc completely plus failed to create minidumps. Tested all the other parts as well and everything is fine (cpu, gpu, ram). Does anyone ever have a problem like this? I do want to RMA it but I'm afraid it wastes time if it gets rejected cause it would be fine for a while.

I accidentally format the said SSD when I tried to clone it to another SSD and see whether it is the SSD or the windows, luckily important data was lost :D. Thank you in advance.

PC Specification:
Ryzen 5 5600X
ROG B550-A Strix
Corsair Dominator 2x8 GB 3200
MSI RTX 3070 Ti Suprim X
MSI A850GF
Adata SX8200 Pro 1TB (Suspect)
MSI Spatium M390 500GB
Adata SX6000 Lite 512GB
WD Blue 4TB

Solution
Kernel Data Inpage Error, Unexpected Store Exception, and Critical Process Died.
You won't get these if you running off another drive now.
I explained the top 2 already
2 out of 3 of your BSOD point at it being the ssd you replaced.
Kernal inpage error related to page file
Unexpected store exception could have been page file or RAM.
the 3rd, critical process died, only happens to Windows system files, but its not specific enough for me to say which. Some are boot files, some are to do with logon, some are for your user, and some are for windows itself to operate. Any of them crash, windows does as well. So it could have been caused by a corrupt ssd.

So you may not get the BSOD at all. The drive may keep working fine...

Riskyhsn

Commendable
Nov 2, 2019
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original, new to build, refurbished, used)?

History of heavy gaming use, video editing, or even bit mining?
PSU is MSI a850gf gold 850w 1 month same with the GPU. No mining and I wouldn't say it is heavy gaming but yeah I game a lot though I always monitor the temp and never passed 70c.

Riskyhsn

Commendable
Nov 2, 2019
Update, after a day of observation with another SSD (MSI Spatium) on clean windows 11 install everything great no BSOD or any error at all.

And today I tried to plug SSD to the second m.2 that I suspect has a problem (Adata SX8200 Pro ) at first everything is fine and I move some games to it approximately 200GB of files,
but like after 30 mins of moving the file I got 2 BSOD and the second BSOD is when I tried to copy the content of Adata SX8200 Pro to MSI ones and luckily minidumps are created Minidumps .

Right now I'm running an HD Tune error scan on Adata SX8200 Pro with NVME to USB Type C and I haven't gotten any BSOD.

Riskyhsn

Commendable
Nov 2, 2019

so do you get BSOD if you only have the MSI ssd in PC?
Not at all, I played some games earlier today and nothing happened and yesterday runs without issue.

So HD Tune error check finished and all good I haven't gotten any BSOD either but I'm using NVME to USB adaptor to test it and now I'm gonna install it again on the 2nd m.2 slot

Anyway when I'm using Adata SSD as the main drive before it wouldn't produce minidumps and didn't show up in bios after BSOD (still won't show up after BSOD now)

Colif

Win 11 Master
i don't know if i would trust a drive that disappears from bios, even for storage drive. I would be tempted to rma it, if you have proof of purchase, and get a replacement for it. Especially since you can run windows off MSI drive while you wait for it to come back.

the no minidumps thing is common if the drive itself is problem, hard to create a minidump if the drive is not responding and caused error.

the reoccurring bsod even after install show it was hardware.

Riskyhsn

Commendable
Nov 2, 2019
I agree with you @Colif just want to find a way to replicate this BSOD but I haven't found it haha.

And this is weird cause it runs fine at least for now all I could think is because I screw my motherboard m.2 heat spreader too tightly so it bends or something.

Still gonna test it later as right now I don't use the head spreader just want to enjoy my pc for a while lol. Thanks for the help!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Kernel Data Inpage Error, Unexpected Store Exception, and Critical Process Died.
You won't get these if you running off another drive now.
I explained the top 2 already
the 3rd, critical process died, only happens to Windows system files, but its not specific enough for me to say which. Some are boot files, some are to do with logon, some are for your user, and some are for windows itself to operate. Any of them crash, windows does as well. So it could have been caused by a corrupt ssd.

So you may not get the BSOD at all. The drive may keep working fine, since its now not the boot drive, it can spend more time off (nvme can turn off when not in use, my hdd thinks its been on 414 days, my nvme which is same age only shows 288 days).

But main benefit of an NVMe is its read speed, and boot is when you see most usage of it... so do you want to keep using the ssd as boot or would it make more sense to return drive.

have you run chkdsk on the nvme?
open command prompt (admin)
type chdsk x: /f (note: replace x: with the drive letter of the nvme)
and press enter

Solution

Riskyhsn

Commendable
Nov 2, 2019
Yes thank you for the explanation I definitely gonna return it and hope it gets approved, in my country the RMA is handled by a distributor and it is not easy to get replaced so I'm gathering any possible information that said this SSD is failing,

Worst case for me when they tested it and it runs fine and denied which I'm going to pay for both the shipping .

Oh and the 2 BSOD which I uploaded before were using my other SSD as the main drive and the Adata one as storage.

have you run chkdsk on the nvme?
open command prompt (admin)
type chdsk x: /f (note: replace x: with the drive letter of the nvme)
and press enter
I haven't done it right now with MSI one but before I switch to MSI I have done it with Adata and it detect some error and fixed it then it runs fine for a day and it comes back again and that is what makes me swap drives.

Gonna tried with MSI later today. Sorry if I sounded hard-headed for not wanting to send it for RMA I just don't want to spend time and money on nothing.

I haven't played some games on Adata though maybe I could produce the BSOD.

Colif

Win 11 Master
using it might cause an error. right now its sleeping.

Not sure how extensive the HDTune scan is. I can't run it myself, the trial period ran out long ago. Samsung and Western Digital make their own tests, I would use those since they made my drives.

Adata aren't very good drives. I tend to see more of those fail than say Samsung. They may be cheaper but they also may not be as good. You might want to consider a different brand (I just noticed you had 2 of them).

Riskyhsn

Commendable
Nov 2, 2019
I just noticed that too HD Tune scan does nothing to write and just can them by reading don't know how extensive it is too.

They are 2 oldest parts on my system right now cause I have been upgrading the rest of the system.

And I got Msi ones from the GPU apparently MSI in my country makes an event that whoever bought a certain GPU would get an SSD or PSU luckily I got SSD lol.

If I got approved I will probably sell it when it returns and look at thge 970 Evo or the SATA version which is cheaper.

And as for another Adata SSD, I use it as an external SSD and I think I will just keep it that way since it's for moving data, not storage so my files are safe.

Thanks though I appreciate your help!

Colif

Win 11 Master
2 different types of tests for ssd.
one tests health
other tests speed.

So no need to write anything if you just checking health of the drives, but if you want to know how fast drive is, hdtune won't tell you.
need something like https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6014-as-ssd-benchmark.html to check read/write speeds.

or use Crystaldiskinfo for health and crystaldiskmark for speed.

or if you get a Samsung use Samsung Magician for all of it. It can check health and speed and a bunch of other things.

if you haven't noticed a great difference in boot time using ssd over nvme, then you might as well get a ssd. I have only ever booted off Nvme on this PC. I don't think I could go back but I am comparing boot speed of an ssd on my last PC and things aren't equal. This pc is just better in all ways.

Riskyhsn

Commendable
Nov 2, 2019
I see thanks for the info! I noticed the speed was off a bit from the new one as I remember with 3200 reads and 2500 write and if I remember correctly when I bought it new it was 3500 and 3000

Oh definitely gonna use my MSI as the main drive (it is nvme with 3500/3000) and sata ssd as games drives. Never own a SATA SSD before and I come from an old failing HDD and an old laptop and if I said the difference is night and day it's really an understatement of how the difference is haha.

And as for my understanding of games, sata and nvme didn't really have a big difference, right? Probably the biggest downfall for me is when moving files from one SSD to another, though if we are talking about big files with lots of smaller files it wouldn't be much different.

But yeah m.2 is really easy to install, forgot how crowded the back of my pc is with lots of RGB cables and controller lol. I'm talking to you corsair.