[SOLVED] Receive a wifi signal far from me

low2020

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
Hi,

I want to receive a wifi for a company i'm working for which is about 200m far from me. My PC can't see of course this wifi because it's a bit far.
Is there any device that can afford me to receive this wifi (i suppose it will be a long range wifi receiver or something like this) ?

Solution
Correct me, if i understood, this is a wireless Range Extender.
If so, it's not what i'm looking for, I look for a device that can afford me to receive a wifi (200m far) without making any modifications on the wifi source (like installing antenna on the wifi source because i don't have access to make it).
The M2 is a device that can be configured many different ways. One way is as a wireless bridge. That takes a WIFI signal as input and outputs an ethernet network. That would be the mode you would use. You would mount the M2 outdoors, pointed at the WIFI source. You use the ethernet to connect or distribute the connection.

I have an M2 as a test unit setup to receive WIFI from my home. It acts just like a device. You...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

I want to receive a wifi for a company i'm working for which is about 200m far from me. My PC can't see of course this wifi because it's a bit far.
Is there any device that can afford me to receive this wifi (i suppose it will be a long range wifi receiver or something like this) ?
You could try an outdoor directional WIFI bridge like a Ubiquiti nanostation M2. But, unless you have a line of sight to the source, your probability of success is near zero.

Reactions: low2020

low2020

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
You could try an outdoor directional WIFI bridge like a Ubiquiti nanostation M2. But, unless you have a line of sight to the source, your probability of success is near zero.

If so, it's not what i'm looking for, I look for a device that can afford me to receive a wifi (200m far) without making any modifications on the wifi source (like installing antenna on the wifi source because i don't have access to make it).

kanewolf

Titan
The M2 is a device that can be configured many different ways. One way is as a wireless bridge. That takes a WIFI signal as input and outputs an ethernet network. That would be the mode you would use. You would mount the M2 outdoors, pointed at the WIFI source. You use the ethernet to connect or distribute the connection.

I have an M2 as a test unit setup to receive WIFI from my home. It acts just like a device. You put the SSID and password in and it just connects. I have never used one to connect to a WIFI source that uses a portal with login. I don't know if that works or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: low2020
Solution