[SOLVED] Receive WiFi signal that is out of range

May 23, 2020
So the story is that I own a caravan at a caravan site where there is free Wi-Fi. The wi-fi is set up with mesh transmitters and slow each user limitation of 15mbps.

My caravan is sitting at the far side of the wi-fi transmitters. When I am outdoors I get a OK signal, but inside my caravan with all the metal I get no signal.

I initially solved the issue with this repeater

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163517345611

I mounted it on my caravan roof witch has a direct line of sight to the wi-fi transmitter. It retransmitted a strong WiFi signal with my own password protected SSID. When I spoke to the caravan site networking admins they could however tell me that the repeater is creating interference and is making the bandwidth worse for other neighbors. After reading a bit on the issue it seems true that repeaters create interference.

So my goal is to receive the wi-fi signal inside my unit but without the use of a repeater that creates interference at the same time. Anybody have any good ideas of what equipment to procure?

One solution im thinking of, is to use a old router with DD-WRT firmware to get WiFi to wired internet. This router will have external antenna on top of my unit. from the lan port of this router I will use another router to create a small wireless inside my unit, set it up with a channel far from the site wireless and hopefully end up with stable WiFi inside my unit. Any thoughts?

Thanx.

Cato.

Solution
So the story is that I own a caravan at a caravan site where there is free Wi-Fi. The wi-fi is set up with mesh transmitters and slow each user limitation of 15mbps.

My caravan is sitting at the far side of the wi-fi transmitters. When I am outdoors I get a OK signal, but inside my caravan with all the metal I get no signal.

I mounted it on my caravan roof witch has a direct line of sight to the wi-fi transmitter. It retransmitted a strong WiFi signal with my own password protected SSID. When I spoke to the caravan site networking admins they could however tell me that the repeater is creating interference and is making the bandwidth...

kanewolf

Titan

I mounted it on my caravan roof witch has a direct line of sight to the wi-fi transmitter. It retransmitted a strong WiFi signal with my own password protected SSID. When I spoke to the caravan site networking admins they could however tell me that the repeater is creating interference and is making the bandwidth worse for other neighbors. After reading a bit on the issue it seems true that repeaters create interference.

So my goal is to receive the wi-fi signal inside my unit but without the use of a repeater that creates interference at the same time. Anybody have any good ideas of what equipment to procure?

One solution im thinking of, is to use a old router with DD-WRT firmware to get WiFi to wired internet. This router will have external antenna on top of my unit. from the lan port of this router I will use another router to create a small wireless inside my unit, set it up with a channel far from the site wireless and hopefully end up with stable WiFi inside my unit. Any thoughts?

Thanx.

Cato.
For outdoor, you want a wireless bridge. Then you bring the network inside on an ethernet cable. You then connect your old router to the ethernet cable as a WIFI AP. You turn DOWN the power on your router to minimize interference.
Ubiquiti has single band outdoor devices -- The locostation M2 for example. IF you are only have a 15Mbit service, 2.4Ghz should be OK.

Solution