If I hit "receive fax now" I can receive a fax. But on "automatic" it will
not answer even though in the final window it states that it is set up for
automatic answering.
What am I doing wrong or what else needs to be set up? I really don't know
much about how the Fax console works. Just does not make much sense to me
when I read it.

I too have had a lot of the same problems as other people in receiveing
faxes. I have read a lot of the discussions but am confused also. I sent a
fax using Word (Fax Console) but unable to receive. I have configured but
doesn't do any good. When I go to fax properties on the Track tab, there is
a red check & ! on top of my fax icon. Everything seems to be enabled to
recieve & send but the receive part isn't happening. I have an Intel R 537
EP V9X DF PCI modem. Please help us as there are many of us having the same
problem. I have already missed 2 faxes I was suppose to receive today.

"kws7159" wrote:

> If I hit "receive fax now" I can receive a fax. But on "automatic" it will
> not answer even though in the final window it states that it is set up for
> automatic answering.
> What am I doing wrong or what else needs to be set up? I really don't know
> much about how the Fax console works. Just does not make much sense to me
> when I read it.

Hare to know since we don't know what you did.
What settings did you specify?
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"kws7159" <kws7159@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If I hit "receive fax now" I can receive a fax. But on "automatic" it will
> not answer even though in the final window it states that it is set up for
> automatic answering.
> What am I doing wrong or what else needs to be set up? I really don't know
> much about how the Fax console works. Just does not make much sense to me
> when I read it.

Here are my settings:

I used the Fax Configuration Wizard.

Seclect Fax Device - ESSES56H-PI Data Fax Voice Modem
Enable Send
Enable Receive
Auto Answer After Two Rings
TSID Has Fax Number - Inserted Area Code and Phone Number with Dashes
CSID Has the Same Thing As Above
Print Is On
Store a Copy In Folder

The wizard says everything is configured properly.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Hare to know since we don't know what you did.
> What settings did you specify?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "kws7159" <kws7159@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > If I hit "receive fax now" I can receive a fax. But on "automatic" it will
> > not answer even though in the final window it states that it is set up for
> > automatic answering.
> > What am I doing wrong or what else needs to be set up? I really don't know
> > much about how the Fax console works. Just does not make much sense to me
> > when I read it.

Any error messages or anything in Event viewer?

--
> Here are my settings:
>
> I used the Fax Configuration Wizard.
>
> Seclect Fax Device - ESSES56H-PI Data Fax Voice Modem
> Enable Send
> Enable Receive
> Auto Answer After Two Rings
> TSID Has Fax Number - Inserted Area Code and Phone Number with Dashes
> CSID Has the Same Thing As Above
> Print Is On
> Store a Copy In Folder
>
> The wizard says everything is configured properly.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Hare to know since we don't know what you did.
>> What settings did you specify?
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "kws7159" <kws7159@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > If I hit "receive fax now" I can receive a fax. But on "automatic" it
>> > will
>> > not answer even though in the final window it states that it is set up
>> > for
>> > automatic answering.
>> > What am I doing wrong or what else needs to be set up? I really don't
>> > know
>> > much about how the Fax console works. Just does not make much sense to
>> > me
>> > when I read it.

No messages of any kind.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Any error messages or anything in Event viewer?
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "kws7159" <kws7159@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Here are my settings:
> >
> > I used the Fax Configuration Wizard.
> >
> > Seclect Fax Device - ESSES56H-PI Data Fax Voice Modem
> > Enable Send
> > Enable Receive
> > Auto Answer After Two Rings
> > TSID Has Fax Number - Inserted Area Code and Phone Number with Dashes
> > CSID Has the Same Thing As Above
> > Print Is On
> > Store a Copy In Folder
> >
> > The wizard says everything is configured properly.
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hare to know since we don't know what you did.
> >> What settings did you specify?
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "kws7159" <kws7159@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

How nice.
Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception error."
There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
might lie.

These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.

--
> No messages of any kind.
>
> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Any error messages or anything in Event viewer?
>>
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "kws7159" <kws7159@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Here are my settings:
>> >
>> > I used the Fax Configuration Wizard.
>> >
>> > Seclect Fax Device - ESSES56H-PI Data Fax Voice Modem
>> > Enable Send
>> > Enable Receive
>> > Auto Answer After Two Rings
>> > TSID Has Fax Number - Inserted Area Code and Phone Number with Dashes
>> > CSID Has the Same Thing As Above
>> > Print Is On
>> > Store a Copy In Folder
>> >
>> > The wizard says everything is configured properly.

Thank you. At least I am not going crazy. Have a great life.

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> How nice.
> Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
> modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
> they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
> during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
> first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
> an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
> messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception error."
> There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
> might lie.
>
> These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
> enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
> require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
> advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
> on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.
>

> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "kws7159" <kws7159@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > No messages of any kind.
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Any error messages or anything in Event viewer?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "kws7159" <kws7159@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

I sent one fax from my Fax Console but unable to receive any. In my event
window it shows: Ringing, Ringing, The call was answered & then it says: An
error occured while receiving fax. This is the error message I usually get.
I have done all the suggestions & nothing works. Is there a patch or
something to fix this? I have checked compatibility & it says my Intel R 537
EP V9X DF PCI modem is compatible with Win XP. So then I looked for a patch
for it & couldn't find one. I have read the same information below that you
have written to everyone else. It doesn't answer what to do with the
useless fax program we all have installed in our computers. Do we have to
try to find a different fax program or is there a fix to the same problem
that everyone seems to be having? I had a fax program on my old computer,
BVRP Phone Tools but it don't recognize my modem so I didn't install it on my
new computer.
"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> How nice.
> Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
> modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
> they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
> during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
> first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
> an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
> messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception error."
> There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
> might lie.
>
> These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
> enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
> require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
> advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
> on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.
>

> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "kws7159" <kws7159@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > No messages of any kind.
> >
> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Any error messages or anything in Event viewer?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "kws7159" <kws7159@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

There are no solutions for these problems.
There are lots of modems with which Windows XP Fax will not work. Being
"compatible" with Windows XP is not the same as being on the Windows XP HCL
list.
Most people for whom PC faxing is important purchase reliable fax software.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]