Receiving radio station through my laptops

amialive

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
why am i receiving a radio station through my laptop speakers while on line. it only started yesterday (24/10/2010) on 2 seperate laptops in 2 seperate rooms of my house, now again tonight . i've tried disconnecting power to computer and also tv and freeview box . i am using an O2 payg dongle to connect to the net.. i have no speakers connected to my toshiba a300 other than built in and also happens on a siemens fujitsu. why only starting yesterday on both laptops ?. i am in the uk and the radio station i can hear intermitently is also english speaking. i have had virus problems in both laptops over past few days and thought i had them under control with Avast boot scan procedures and uniblue registry cleaner scans.. please help as its interfeering with my cubase stuff.. many thanks Ami... my email is actdead@live.com thankyou

New radio station in the area? It will likely be an AM station (long wave, (low frequency) amplitude modulated).
The solid-state devices in your computer can act as an Amplitude Detector for strong RF signals, and you hear it in your computer speakers, headphones, etc. Get a radio and look for it, or listen to it for awhile and get their ID, given about on the hour and half-hour in most countries. To cure it you need a Faraday shield. Make a tin enclosure for your laptop to run in. Have the iron cores on the power cord to your computer and mouse. You can also line the walls and roof of the room you use the computer in with metal foil (copper works very well). There may be areas of your home where the problem will not occur.

amialive

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010

Hey buddy thanks for your quick reply, after reading through many forums, your suggestion of a new radio station in the area seems most likely compared with others talking about type of external speakers as i aint using any but as for lining my rooms with metal foil i'd rather seek the whereabouts of the possible new station and adjust their antenna one night if ya know what i mean. As for making a tin enclosure for the laptop i dont quite understand this option, do you mean liturally build a tin box around my laptop.?

do you mean liturally build a tin box around my laptop.?

Yes. It will be an enclosure that will shield the radio waves of your new neighborhood station.
It can be ventilated with holes. It can also be made of "expanded metal" to give plenty of ventilation. The shield blocks magnetic waves that are now passing through your computer and being "detected" by the millions of PN junctions in the IC's that act as diodes to "detect"(rectify) an AM radio signal. The ferrite cores on the power cord stop the cord from being an antenna (or a transmitter of your computer's internal switching speeds). Try any metal box first. If it provides ample shielding, make a nice one. Copper and Tin seem to be the most popular types of shielding material at a reasonable price. Silver is the absolute best, but it's not that much better to make it worth the price. Oh, the box can be open in the front to accommodate your hands reaching the keyboard. The box doesn't need to be a 100% shield, just a majority shield unless the station is only a few city blocks away.

Google "Faraday Cage"

amialive

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010

Hi, basically my first time actually replying to someone on a forum, would you mind explaining to me how i should reply to discussions or threads so i dont always send the other person the entire conversation each time i reply etc, i noticed when you replied to me i only received your reply/ response as to when i replied to you i think you received the whole conversation again and im pretty sure if i keep doing that someone's bound to mention it. It must be frustrating to have to read through everything thats already been read etc.. also how does the "quote" thing work,? does that basically show a subject for what the person is replying about,? and how do i do that, cheers buddy

Just click the "Add a Reply" button instead of "Reply to...."

The quote works by pre-entering text, click&drag through it to highlight it, and then click the Quote button.

im pretty sure if i keep doing that someone's bound to mention it.

No, Ive never seen a complaint or otherwise.

You can also click the left of the three buttons at the bottom of your post to edit your reply, add, delete anything. It usually leaves a remark that the post has been edited.

Your microwave oven is a Faraday Cage. (if they didn't work, you'd be burned rather quickly).

amialive

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
To be honest i think i'll try a different position in the room to sit before i go casing up my comp and hope that does the trick, as the interference is very little and not very often maybe i can dodge it by sitting on the other side etc.? thanks so much for taking the time to advise me though dude, much appreciated. i'll do what you said and see if i can identify the station on a radio next time it comes through my comp, be safe mate.... Ami