[SOLVED] Recent build now BSOD every 10 minutes, when it does boot

Amaryl

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2014
I built a computer for my wife a few months ago. Config:

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME H570-PLUS Intel H570 LGA 1200 ATX
CPU: Intel Core i5-11400F
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro, 2x8 GB DDR4-3200 (CMW16GX4M2C3200C16W)
SSD: Samsung 980 1TB (MZ-V8V1T0BW)

Last friday, I got home from work and the computer was showing the BIOS. She said she had only attempted to start it like she usually does. The BIOS wouldn’t recognize the only SSD drive anymore, where windows was installed.
I plugged in a USB recovery usb stick, attempted a repair, but it failed.

I reinstalled Windows 10. Then it wouldn’t boot, then after a few tries it would boot again, then it started throwing BSODs every 10 minutes on average, which caused windows updates to be stopped in the middle of their installation process. At the time I wrongly attributed the BSOD to the updates themselves, so I thought maybe it would help to upgrade to Windows 11. However the problem persisted. Then I updated the BIOS and the problem persisted.

Then I tried each of the following steps in isolation, and Windows crashed every time after about 10 minutes:
  • I replaced the GPU with a spare one
  • I removed the WiFi card
  • I removed one RAM stick
  • I replaced the one remaining RAM stick with the one I had removed
  • I replaced the power supply with a spare one
  • (no joke) I replaced the power cable with a spare one
I then stopped replacing parts and did the following:
  • Tested the SSD with Samsung Magician: no error detected
  • Restarted in Safe mode (with network) and it didn’t BSOD but, also after about 10 minutes, it showed a popup from explorer.exe “The system detected an overrun”
  • Ran 4 passes of MemTest86 (laster 3 hours): no error detected
While doing all this rebooting, it would randomly refuse boot and present just a black screen which would be “solved” by cutting the power and starting the computer again one or more times.

I finally resolved to search for that proverbial minidump file to show it to smarter people like you guys. So here is a link to my Google drive with the minidump files.

Thank you very much for your patience.

Last edited:
Solution
All those 4 minidumps are the 9F bugcheck which has somethign to do with driver and power issues probably storage related and Parameter 1 of all of them is 3. Also they point to Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_43D2&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_11\3&11583659&0&B8. I think this is Intel 500 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller. Updating the driver or reverting to older one might help. Also might have to do with Intel Optane management driver.

Have you installed (or recently updated) the driver for Intel Management Engine Interface?

Its earlier versions is usually on the disc that comes in motherboard box. Also avilable from manufacturer's site here, please verify if this is indeed your motherboard.

Also have you installed (or recently...

Lutfij

Titan
For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Since you've used Samsung's Magician app, did you see if the SSD was pending any firmware updates? Which two slots are you populating the sticks of ram on the motherboard? Which M.2 slot is being populated with the M.2 SSD? For both OSes, where did you source the installer for your OS?

Amaryl

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2014
The BIOS is version 1203.
I forgot to mention that I already updated the SSD and it's running the latest firmware version as well
The RAM sticks occupies the slot A2 and B2. Does it matter that it's not A1 and B1?
The SSD occupies the slot 1 (PCIEX 16_1)

I might try to install Windows on the new SSD I just received. Do you think it's worth trying? After that, the only thing I will not have replaced will be the motherboard itself. But I don't have a spare one, so I'd rather avoid it...

Thank you for the support!

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
All those 4 minidumps are the 9F bugcheck which has somethign to do with driver and power issues probably storage related and Parameter 1 of all of them is 3. Also they point to Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_43D2&SUBSYS_86941043&REV_11\3&11583659&0&B8. I think this is Intel 500 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller. Updating the driver or reverting to older one might help. Also might have to do with Intel Optane management driver.

Have you installed (or recently updated) the driver for Intel Management Engine Interface?

Its earlier versions is usually on the disc that comes in motherboard box. Also avilable from manufacturer's site here, please verify if this is indeed your motherboard.

Also have you installed (or recently updated) the chipset driver for the board from same source?

Might not be a bad idea to update the latest chipset and SATA/AHCI controller driver (might be part of Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver). You said SSD is on latest firmware.

Also if you've installed the utilitites that came with the board, Armoury Crate & Aura Creator? I've seen these moard utilities triggering the power state issue with the drivers. If there (after clean Windows intall) check if uninstalling them helps.

Is the "WiFi card" a PCIE card/adaptor?

Solution

Amaryl

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2014
I have now replaced the SSD with a brand new one. I installed Windows and all the updates without any issue. I wouldn't believe it at first, but the computer is now running for about 2 hours without a crash.
If the issue is actually solved (I still have a hard time believing), I find it pretty crazy that a SSD would go bad after a few months of sporadic usage...

@Satan-IR Thank you for offering your help. I had not installed the Intel Management Engine Interface. Nor did I update the chipset for the board. About the "Armoury Crate" stuff, I think Windows itself propose to install it after a fresh windows install, but the popup seemed too shiny to be something actually useful and I avoided it.
It might still not be a bad idea to install the latest chipset update and everything. But certainly, the outdated versions didn't "break" the SSD, right? I suppose it's just bad luck.

@geofelt Thank you for your suggestion. Interesting guess: indeed I'm using the stock cooler, but I ran OCCT for several minutes and the temperature reached 93°C before settling to 85°C at 100% usage. It didn't trigger a BSOD.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
No a bug/glitch of the drivers and SSD's firmware and controller and all won't break SSD it would hinder its functioning properly - unless there was something fundamentally wrong with the SSD to begin with, like it's own controller which would lead to messing up its communication with the storage controller on the motherboard.

You replaced the SSD but you said Samsung Magician said the older SSD was OK? and if the SMART of the drive shows OK and drive is healthy there's nothing to worry about.

It's usually not be a bad idea to update chipset and storage drivers for the MOBO to the latest the manufacturer provides. Sometimes (most of the time) the updates are there to improve performmance and support of newly emerging components and/or to patch such problems. Of course if the current state of the system is not causing any problems updating drivers is not a MUST. In line with 'don't fix something that's not broken'.

Those utility things that come with the motherboards are not bad per se but most of them are bloatware and I've seen them mess systems and cause BSODs, few years back I debugged some dumps for friends with Gigabyte boards the utilities called app center or something were cause of BSODs, or how they handled drivers triggered them if you like.