Recent hardware change Windows 7 failed to boot correctly

Cyzco

Reputable
Jun 15, 2014
I just put in a new motherboard a gigabyte 990 fxa-ud3 and a amd fx 3580 8 core black edition. When i went to boot it up it said a kernel file was missing or corrupt. We changed the boot sequence to the hard drive with with windows first and it is now saying windows failed to start correctly and suggests a repair. When i repair it just restarts to the same screen suggesting a repair. Also when boot from my windows cd and try to repair it from there but it says the cd is incompatable with my version of windows.

ingtar33

Illustrious
yep. this is pretty much what happens when you change a motherboard.

the problem lay in the southbridge chipset driver called the AHCI/RAID driver
what you need to do is "repair" windows install
when you get to the screen that asks you to chose the windows installation there should be a "have disk" option on the bottom of the screen
select the have disk option (or load drivers... i don't recall what it says specifically)
then you'll need your motherboard chipset drivers (the AHCI drivers ideally) which match your windows version (32 bit or 64 bit) on a disk at hand... thumb drive works
select those drivers and install them.
then you can exit out of the windows repair utility
hit f8 during boot
select load into safemode
safemode should safely load at this time (it MIGHT take a long time to load though due to the other bad drivers)
once in safemode you should install all your motherboard drivers
reboot and load into windows.

if you did it right the problem should be solved. if you can't get it running, use the driver option in repair mode to backup your user folder, plus any other files you need to save and reinstall windows.

ingtar33

Illustrious
yep. this is pretty much what happens when you change a motherboard.

the problem lay in the southbridge chipset driver called the AHCI/RAID driver
what you need to do is "repair" windows install
when you get to the screen that asks you to chose the windows installation there should be a "have disk" option on the bottom of the screen
select the have disk option (or load drivers... i don't recall what it says specifically)
then you'll need your motherboard chipset drivers (the AHCI drivers ideally) which match your windows version (32 bit or 64 bit) on a disk at hand... thumb drive works
select those drivers and install them.
then you can exit out of the windows repair utility
hit f8 during boot
select load into safemode
safemode should safely load at this time (it MIGHT take a long time to load though due to the other bad drivers)
once in safemode you should install all your motherboard drivers
reboot and load into windows.

if you did it right the problem should be solved. if you can't get it running, use the driver option in repair mode to backup your user folder, plus any other files you need to save and reinstall windows.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS