Question Recent heavy drops in FPS. Rolling back GPU driver temporarily fixes it

Jul 4, 2023
Hi all!

I'm wondering if anyone has recently been experiencing heavy FPS drops in all games.

I can't find any discernable cause; no changes in hardware, Win 11 was installed at least 3 months ago, so I don't think it's the result of conflicts there.

CPU performance when playing and tabbing out is also extremely fast, so it feels like a GPU issue (RTX 3080).

The only fix at the moment is rolling back the GPU driver, but after a day or two, the FPS drops are back.

Weirdly, if I also put Task Manager on my second monitor and load a game with the FPS drops, there seems to be no change in CPU resource consumption. GPU usage does spike though going from one in-game menu to another.

This only started happening in the past month, so it's not like my hardware is suddenly bottlenecking or unsuitable.

If anyone has experienced this, or has any ideas, would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Jul 4, 2023
Did you monitor GPU clocks and temps?
You can use MSI afterburner on your second monitor to look at temps and clocks while the drops are happening.
Temperature remains around 45 degrees and constant.

Maybe this is normal, but the core clock remains almost stuck at about 210-220 when in game. It doesn't really change until I tab out.