Recent Low FPS

Oct 31, 2018
i7 8700k
MSI RTX2080
G SKill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2

So rig was running great with a gtx 1080. Upgraded to Gigabtye 2080, didn't like the software. About that time I upgraded to the MSI 2080 and also updated Windows for the October update. FPS in games like D2 have dropped in certain areas. Titan I'm getting 65 FPS at main load in place, used to get a lot higher. Changing from 1440p to 1080p doesn't change the FPS at all. CPU sitting at 30% and GPU at 46%. Issues in fornite where dropping from bus when lots of people load in FPS goes from cap of 160 to 90ish. Changing resolution from 1440 down to 1080 doesn't affect this either. I know when I upgraded to 2080, which included a new 1440 monitor, i tested fortnite and it ran great. I've already changed out this MSI 2080 with another, so thats not the problem. I've done the typical DDU uninstall and reinstall. Tried all of the drivers available for the 2080. Nothing changes it. Memory load isn't too high or anything. Just really confused with low usage, low fps, and resolution having no impact. In other areas of the game it will run just fine, max out load and high cpu usage. Im at a loss, please help!

Edit: also cant roll back windows, some dummy deleted the old files :'(. Tried the fresh install option too, didn't change anything.

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Initial thoughts:

- Framerate target/limiter/target set somewhere (your oc software, in-game, etc.)

- Power setting. In the nvidia control panel make sure it is set to "Prefer Maximum Performance" (set it for each game, not global).

Can try running 3dmark or another benchmarking suite and see if results fall in line with other 2080s.

Edit - Also maybe keep an eye out for bios updates for your mobo in case they come out with a better performance fix.

Oct 31, 2018

Its not an FPS cap because at times I sit at the max FPS. Just drops significantly in certain areas or certain conditions, like numerous characters in view. The power setting is already se to max perf, and my 3dmark test runs fine.

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Gotcha. Yeah unfortunately these GPUs are new and numerous folks are reporting various issues. If your 3dmark stress tests/benchmarks are fine then your hardware is probably ok and we will all just have to wait for new drivers to be released to ease our pain. Hopefully they come sooner rather than later.

Only other thing I can recommend is hopping over to the nvidia forums and see if they have any recommendations. I've read reports of odd little tweaks fixing miscellaneous issues. PSU bios settings being one of the tweaks however I don't think EVGA PSUs were affected.

Khitboksy

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
i have this same problem with a 1080 after swapping to a fx 8320. when i used to use this CPU it ran just fine, hitting the max fps numbers. now i struggle for 100 fps everywhere