Question Recent pc upgrade, faulty gpu or mobo?

0NickM0

Reputable
Jun 14, 2016
Hey guys,

As of recently, I have upgraded my motherboard, SSD and CPU. My plan was to upgrade more parts down the road, and run with some of my current hardware till funds became available... But ever since my new build, I have experienced crashes while gaming. Since the crashes seem to be directx related, I am looking at my graphics card, though it puzzles me, since everything, and especially the graphics card has been working fine until the swap.

Some system info:

Old system / replaced parts
Intel i7 6700k
MSI Z170A motherboard
Corsair Force SATA SSD

Kept parts:
Case (irrelevant, but a nzxt noctis 450)
Corsair CX750
Asus ROG strix GTX 1060 6GB edition
Corsair 16GB 2400mhz ram sticks

Replaced parts:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
MSI X570 gaming plus
Corsair force m.2 SSD

Im at a loss at this point what the cause of my issue could be. The system did post on my first try, and my pc has been running fairly stable aside from gaming. Even with stress tests on furmark I seem to be stable, but I keep crashing out of games. So far, I have tried to play both Final Fantasy 14 and Tekken 7, but both seem to crash, and display direct x errors. (ffxiv fatal dx error, tekken a 'd3d device has been lost' error) I have tried multiple things already, such as reinstalling my graphics driver, rolling back to previous versions and even reinstalling windows. Am I overlooking something, is my new mobo / the pcie slot faulty, or did my graphics card not survive the transplant? Any and all suggestions would be welcome!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kimokato

0NickM0

Reputable
Jun 14, 2016
Bios was up to date, I downloaded the most recent version but it seemed to have already been installed on the mobo. The media creation tool wasn't made recently however, but once installed, I ran Windows updates immediately.

0NickM0

Reputable
Jun 14, 2016
Quick update:

This morning, I have:

• recreated the media creation tool
  • Updated my BIOS to a newly released beta version (released 2 days ago)
  • Reinstalled windows for a third time.
So far, things seem more stable then before, but I can't say for certain until i have done some decent testing. I will keep you guys updated, did see some minor differences in my windows however, so it might have to do with that.

UPDATE:

Crashes are still occuring. Just had one again unfortunately. To check if it is my motherboard or the graphics card, i have reinstalled my previous parts.

Last edited:

0NickM0

Reputable
Jun 14, 2016
Update: since switching back 6 hours ago, i have had 0 crashes, which leads me to believe I have either a faulty motherboard or cpu. Will continue to test for the day, but am I wrong in assuming that my motherboard is the likely culprit?

0NickM0

Reputable
Jun 14, 2016
Final update:
I have bought a new PSU and Ram for my pc, and the pc seems to have stabalized since then. No weird artifacts anymore, no weirdness or crashes. So I'm thinking that my ram was too slow, or my PSU didn't give enough juice. Either way, this topic can be closed!

Reactions: Kimokato