recent posting on ebay - is there such a thing????

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

cut from a recent ebay posting, anyone aware of such software, as a
certified Dell engineer I;ve never come across any, has anyone???? I'm not
saying its not possible just asking the question is it in use?
THERE IS NOW SOFTWARE THAT IS INSTALLED ON HARD DRIVES OF LAPTOPS, THAT
AUTOMATICALLY SENDS AN EMAIL TO THE SECURITY COMPANY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE
MACHINES WHEREABOUTS IF STOLEN, THIS PROGRAMME THAT CANNOT BE FORMATTED FROM
THE HARD DISK WILL SEND VITAL DATA INCLUDING THE PHONE NUMBER AND IP ADDRESS
OF THE INDIVIDUAL WHO HAS CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET. THIS DATA WILL THEN BE
FORWARDED TO THE LOCAL POLICE WHO WILL CONFISCATE THE GOODS AND YOU WILL
LOSE YOUR MONEY

"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> cut from a recent ebay posting, anyone aware of such software, as a
> certified Dell engineer I;ve never come across any, has anyone???? I'm not
> saying its not possible just asking the question is it in use?
> THERE IS NOW SOFTWARE THAT IS INSTALLED ON HARD DRIVES OF LAPTOPS, THAT
> AUTOMATICALLY SENDS AN EMAIL TO THE SECURITY COMPANY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE
> MACHINES WHEREABOUTS IF STOLEN, THIS PROGRAMME THAT CANNOT BE FORMATTED
> FROM
> THE HARD DISK WILL SEND VITAL DATA INCLUDING THE PHONE NUMBER AND IP
> ADDRESS
> OF THE INDIVIDUAL WHO HAS CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET. THIS DATA WILL THEN
> BE
> FORWARDED TO THE LOCAL POLICE WHO WILL CONFISCATE THE GOODS AND YOU WILL
> LOSE YOUR MONEY

There's a few apps that can be hidden on the HDD that'll "phone home" in the
event of the laptop getting stolen. Some of them even maintain that they'll
survive a format. Computrace (http://www.absolute.com/) and zTrace
(http://www.ztrace.com) are two that spring to mind. There's a few more
listed here:
http://www.scmagazine.com/products/index.cfm?fuseaction=GroupTestDetails&GroupId=5890

Gary

--
Self-referencing
Five, seven, five syllables

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Fixer wrote:

> cut from a recent ebay posting, anyone aware of such software, as a
> certified Dell engineer I;ve never come across any, has anyone???? I'm not
> saying its not possible just asking the question is it in use?
> THERE IS NOW SOFTWARE THAT IS INSTALLED ON HARD DRIVES OF LAPTOPS, THAT
> AUTOMATICALLY SENDS AN EMAIL TO THE SECURITY COMPANY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE
> MACHINES WHEREABOUTS IF STOLEN, THIS PROGRAMME THAT CANNOT BE FORMATTED FROM
> THE HARD DISK WILL SEND VITAL DATA INCLUDING THE PHONE NUMBER AND IP ADDRESS
> OF THE INDIVIDUAL WHO HAS CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET. THIS DATA WILL THEN BE
> FORWARDED TO THE LOCAL POLICE WHO WILL CONFISCATE THE GOODS AND YOU WILL
> LOSE YOUR MONEY

But how do it know it's been stolen?

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 23:13:17 +0100 in
<cern1t$hnh$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Fixer"
<steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> graced the world with this thought:

>cut from a recent ebay posting, anyone aware of such software, as a
>certified Dell engineer I;ve never come across any, has anyone???? I'm not
>saying its not possible just asking the question is it in use?
>THERE IS NOW SOFTWARE THAT IS INSTALLED ON HARD DRIVES OF LAPTOPS, THAT
>AUTOMATICALLY SENDS AN EMAIL TO THE SECURITY COMPANY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE
>MACHINES WHEREABOUTS IF STOLEN, THIS PROGRAMME THAT CANNOT BE FORMATTED FROM
>THE HARD DISK WILL SEND VITAL DATA INCLUDING THE PHONE NUMBER AND IP ADDRESS
>OF THE INDIVIDUAL WHO HAS CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET. THIS DATA WILL THEN BE
>FORWARDED TO THE LOCAL POLICE WHO WILL CONFISCATE THE GOODS AND YOU WILL
>LOSE YOUR MONEY

hmmm... why not just use a GPS chip, can't format that....

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

bizbee wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 23:13:17 +0100 in
> <cern1t$hnh$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Fixer"
> <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> graced the world with this thought:
>
>>cut from a recent ebay posting, anyone aware of such software, as a
>>certified Dell engineer I;ve never come across any, has anyone???? I'm not
>>saying its not possible just asking the question is it in use?
>>THERE IS NOW SOFTWARE THAT IS INSTALLED ON HARD DRIVES OF LAPTOPS, THAT
>>AUTOMATICALLY SENDS AN EMAIL TO THE SECURITY COMPANY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE
>>MACHINES WHEREABOUTS IF STOLEN, THIS PROGRAMME THAT CANNOT BE FORMATTED FROM
>>THE HARD DISK WILL SEND VITAL DATA INCLUDING THE PHONE NUMBER AND IP ADDRESS
>>OF THE INDIVIDUAL WHO HAS CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET. THIS DATA WILL THEN BE
>>FORWARDED TO THE LOCAL POLICE WHO WILL CONFISCATE THE GOODS AND YOU WILL
>>LOSE YOUR MONEY
>
> hmmm... why not just use a GPS chip, can't format that....

It would have to be one that broadcasts it's location. Wouldn't removing
the battery keep it from doing its thing?

"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote:
>THERE IS NOW SOFTWARE THAT IS INSTALLED ON HARD DRIVES OF LAPTOPS, THAT
>AUTOMATICALLY SENDS AN EMAIL TO THE SECURITY COMPANY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE
>MACHINES WHEREABOUTS IF STOLEN

Yeah, though I don't think it's an Email (just a TCP packet), and IIRC
it does it on every boot, not really knowing if it's stolen or not...

>THIS PROGRAMME THAT CANNOT BE FORMATTED FROM
>THE HARD DISK

No-one has ever been able to explain how such a program can survive a
(format and) clean install. IMHO, it's not possible.

> WILL SEND VITAL DATA INCLUDING THE PHONE NUMBER AND IP ADDRESS
>OF THE INDIVIDUAL WHO HAS CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET.

IP address is easy, I doubt the phone number is sent (how would you
know?) Yeah, given the time-stamp and the IP address, you can work
with the ISP that owns that IP to determine who had it then, and work
your way around to the location, but it's not in the initial packet.

> THIS DATA WILL THEN BE
>FORWARDED TO THE LOCAL POLICE WHO WILL CONFISCATE THE GOODS AND YOU WILL
>LOSE YOUR MONEY

Who will put it in their evidence room till trial, and no-one will get
the computer back. 8*)

--
William Smith

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 08:36:09 GMT in
<ZjmQc.4806$zc4.3905753@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>, Sparky
<nemo@moon.sun.edu> graced the world with this thought:

>bizbee wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 23:13:17 +0100 in
>> <cern1t$hnh$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Fixer"
>> <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> graced the world with this thought:
>>
>>>cut from a recent ebay posting, anyone aware of such software, as a
>>>certified Dell engineer I;ve never come across any, has anyone???? I'm not
>>>saying its not possible just asking the question is it in use?
>>>THERE IS NOW SOFTWARE THAT IS INSTALLED ON HARD DRIVES OF LAPTOPS, THAT
>>>AUTOMATICALLY SENDS AN EMAIL TO THE SECURITY COMPANY RESPONSIBLE FOR THE
>>>MACHINES WHEREABOUTS IF STOLEN, THIS PROGRAMME THAT CANNOT BE FORMATTED FROM
>>>THE HARD DISK WILL SEND VITAL DATA INCLUDING THE PHONE NUMBER AND IP ADDRESS
>>>OF THE INDIVIDUAL WHO HAS CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET. THIS DATA WILL THEN BE
>>>FORWARDED TO THE LOCAL POLICE WHO WILL CONFISCATE THE GOODS AND YOU WILL
>>>LOSE YOUR MONEY
>>
>> hmmm... why not just use a GPS chip, can't format that....
>
>It would have to be one that broadcasts it's location. Wouldn't removing
>the battery keep it from doing its thing?

Not sure about that... cattle and FedEx packages don't come with
batteries....

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

bizbee wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 08:36:09 GMT in
> <ZjmQc.4806$zc4.3905753@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>, Sparky
> <nemo@moon.sun.edu> graced the world with this thought:
>

>>bizbee wrote:
>>

>>>On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 23:13:17 +0100 in
>>><cern1t$hnh$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk>, "Fixer"
>>><steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> graced the world with this thought:

>>>hmmm... why not just use a GPS chip, can't format that....
>>
>>It would have to be one that broadcasts it's location. Wouldn't removing
>>the battery keep it from doing its thing?
>
> Not sure about that... cattle and FedEx packages don't come with
> batteries....

They don't broadcast their locations either.