Question Recent Random Shutdowns

kwoolley91

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
Hi all, trying to determine the root of an issue I just started having. Recently, my pc has began shutting off at random intervals. Sometimes twice a night other times none. It usually will not power back on unless I flip the PSU switch on the back off and back on. The PSU is several years old, maybe 6/7 years. It's a corsair 750w.

Is it time for a new PSU, or do y'all think it could be something else?

Hi all, trying to determine the root of an issue I just started having. Recently, my pc has began shutting off at random intervals. Sometimes twice a night other times none. It usually will not power back on unless I flip the PSU switch on the back off and back on. The PSU is several years old, maybe 6/7 years. It's a corsair 750w.

Is it time for a new PSU, or do y'all think it could be something else?

If you have to flip the switch off and then back on again, that's usually because the PSU is doing a fault protection. Most commonly OTP (over temperature protection). Does the fan still spin in the PSU?

6 to 7 years is a long time to hang onto an entry level PSU. Regardless of cause, it should be replaced.

kwoolley91

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
If you have to flip the switch off and then back on again, that's usually because the PSU is doing a fault protection. Most commonly OTP (over temperature protection). Does the fan still spin in the PSU?

6 to 7 years is a long time to hang onto an entry level PSU. Regardless of cause, it should be replaced.
Hmm, at a quick glance, it looks like it may not be spinning. I will have to pull it out to get a better look though. Stay tuned.

kwoolley91

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
Hmm, at a quick glance, it looks like it may not be spinning. I will have to pull it out to get a better look though. Stay tuned.

Yep, definitely not spinning. Do you know if there is harm in me dealing with shutdowns until I get a replacement?

Yep, definitely not spinning. Do you know if there is harm in me dealing with shutdowns until I get a replacement?

Yes. It means you're running the PSU too hot. It's only going to take so much of that.

Can you run the PSU outside of the case and maybe set a case fan on top of it blowing into the PSU for the time being if you MUST use your PC and CAN NOT get another PSU soon?