Recently bought a new CPU (FX 8370) It's underclocking itself

Nerwhale

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016
So I just bought a new processor, the FX 8370, and I placed it in my motherboard (GA-78LMT-S2) everything fit of course. I then updated the BIOS and it essentially told me that the CPU I'm using isn't compatiable and that it was going to underclock it so that it would run safely. I know I have a very low quality mobo and that I shouldn't expect much, but I'm not sure how much it's underclocking my CPU, nor am I entirely sure how to check. Also do you know if it would be safe to overclock it to compensate for the default underclock? Any input on this whole situation would be useful, thanks!

Solution
The VRMs on the board are too weak for a 125w cpu. Trying to oc is likely to just cause problems. Your only options are replacing the motherboard or cpu or living with hobbled cpu. The bios should report the current clock speed.

bignastyid

Titan
The VRMs on the board are too weak for a 125w cpu. Trying to oc is likely to just cause problems. Your only options are replacing the motherboard or cpu or living with hobbled cpu. The bios should report the current clock speed.

Solution

Nerwhale

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016

I suspected this would be a problem initially, and am prepared to upgrade my motherboard, do you have any suggestions for this particular processor?

Decends

Respectable
Jul 3, 2016

Generally 990FX chipset boards are recommended for AMD's 125 and 220 watt CPU's.