Question Recently Bought SSD with low health status, abnormal stats on crystaldisk?

Jun 8, 2024
I bought this ssd on January, supposedly it is new, but, with just gaming and not much more, and another ssd that i have had for much longer with almost the same numbers and much higher health, i am beginning to think they swapped me with something used at the shop.

Sometimes my secondary drive disappears from windows and only appears again after reboot.

Is it risky to keep using this ssd?
xNliKox.png

Jun 8, 2024
Bought in January, that is NOT a "new drive".

Currently, Power On Hours of 5902 = 246 days of 24/7 use.

Jan 1 2024 + 246 = Sept 2.
This is a used and abused drive.
Tought so aswell, just today opneed crystaldisk for the first time. I sent the full build for RMA about something unrelated for a few times to the shop i bought the parts from, cant help but suspect i have been had...Will try asking but dont think i'll be getting a replacement since i bought it so long ago and i will have to look for the receipt.

Do you think my files are in inmediate danger from looking at these stats? :dizzy:

Jun 8, 2024
...backups are your friend.
Will definately do
Currently, Power On Hours of 5902 = 246 days of 24/7 use.
Got hold of a photo of the receipt, it actually was 26 of august of 2023, using an online calculator, about 6888 hours, maaaaaybe i did use the computer that much, still weird tough.
Power On Count is crazy.
It has been turned on/off > 674'000 times.
Could this be because of it being faulty? Do you know of any other diagnostic tools?
Something is seriously wrong with this SSD. Can you remove the label without voiding your warranty? I suspect that you'll find something else underneath.
It seems removing the label will void the warranty, i will try this if they cant solve this at the shop. Shipping it to crucial where i am from would be more expensive than the ssd anyways, still not cheap to replace.

MWink64

Prominent
Sep 8, 2022
Power On Count is crazy.
It has been turned on/off > 674'000 times.

That jumped out at me as well. I wonder if that could be what's bringing down the health. The drive is rated for 220TB, so I'd expect the health to be around 90%. None of the spare blocks have been used and there are no media and data integrity errors.

What does the SMART data show for your other drive, in particular the Power On Count? Have you tried reseating the drive?

MWink64

Prominent
Sep 8, 2022
The power cycle count on that drive is much more reasonable. Is it continuing to shoot up on the Crucial? Do you have another NVMe slot you could try it in? Currently, my best guess would be either a faulty drive or motherboard. It looks like something is causing frequent, unexpected power losses to the drive.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/w...for-storage-hardware-devices-intro#d3-support

Try disabling "D3 Support". This is the lowest possible power state (D3 Cold = power is cut). You can re-enable it after testing. Monitor the Power On Counts while D3 is disabled.

To edit the registry, execute regedit.exe.

... there is also a global registry key that can be used to modify D3 support if needed.

• Name: StorageD3InModernStandby
  • Type: REG_DWORD
  • Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Storage\
  • Value:
    • 0 – Disable D3 support
    • 1 – Enable D3 support

MWink64

Prominent
Sep 8, 2022
https://www.kingston.com/en/blog/servers-and-data-centers/ssd-power-loss-protection

Under a normal system shutdown, the SSD receives a command (Standby Immediate Command) from the host ATA driver alerting the SSD that the system is shutting down and the SSD prepares for power removal. In a normal system shutdown, the SSD has plenty of time to flush its cache buffers and update its mapping tables.

AIUI, Windows normally issues a STANDBY IMMEDIATE command before shutting down, suspending or hibernating. I would think that the SSD would increment its unsafe shutdown count whenever it loses power without a prior STANDBY IMMEDIATE command. Therefore, ISTM that there is some problem with power management.