Question Recently bought used RTX 3070, it doesn’t allow above 60hz refressh-rate, nor can I play youtube videos ?

Sep 11, 2022
Hey, so I recently bought a rtx 3070 from a reseller, he had used the card for mining but said it worked normally for gaming. But, when I got home and installed it into my computer my main monitor was black but was detected. My second monitor worked fine as it is a 60hz monitor. I updated drivers and checked if the main monitor was recognized and it showed up like it was working, but still a black screen. So I decided to check nvidia control panel and turned down the refresh rate on my main monitor to 100hz which allowed for the screen to be seen for seconds but flickers black each 2 seconds. So I changed it down to 60hz and it seemed to fix it. The screen was stable and didn’t flicker at that hz. I’ve checked the GPU on GPU-Z and everything looked good as far as I know. I also tried to play youtube videos, but it plays for 1 second and just stops, which is not my internet as everything else works perfectly fine. I also tried to switch the port the display port goes in and it doesn’t seem to fix it. I don’t believe it is the cable either as it works perfectly fine on my gtx 1080. I have also not tried gaming on it yet as I have a 500w psu and don’t want to risk messing up my computer as the recommended psu is 650w I believe. Also I’m not sure if it could be just the psu problem but Im getting a new psu on Wednesday which hopefully fixes the problem.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Hey, so I recently bought a rtx 3070 from a reseller, he had used the card for mining but said it worked normally for gaming. But, when I got home and installed it into my computer my main monitor was black but was detected. My second monitor worked fine as it is a 60hz monitor. I updated drivers and checked if the main monitor was recognized and it showed up like it was working, but still a black screen. So I decided to check nvidia control panel and turned down the refresh rate on my main monitor to 100hz which allowed for the screen to be seen for seconds but flickers black each 2 seconds. So I changed it down to 60hz and it seemed to fix it. The screen was stable and didn’t flicker at that hz. I’ve checked the GPU on GPU-Z and everything looked good as far as I know. I also tried to play youtube videos, but it plays for 1 second and just stops, which is not my internet as everything else works perfectly fine. I also tried to switch the port the display port goes in and it doesn’t seem to fix it. I don’t believe it is the cable either as it works perfectly fine on my gtx 1080. I have also not tried gaming on it yet as I have a 500w psu and don’t want to risk messing up my computer as the recommended psu is 650w I believe. Also I’m not sure if it could be just the psu problem but Im getting a new psu on Wednesday which hopefully fixes the problem.

this linked thread, please scroll down starting from KyaraM's post why it's dangerous to buy a gpu used for mining. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/asus-tuf-3070-buy-for-450-mined-what-to-look-for.3777068/

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022
Have you tried changing display cable? That sounds like a cheap trouble shooting since the good hdmi or dp will cost like $10.

If the system works just fine when reduced to 60hz, I kinda sus the bandwith issue from connection it’s like somewhere within your system either GPU itself / Cable / Monitor, is not allowing you to pass certain bandwith. In my opinion, if **it is the case, then of course playing video will require more video bandwith than booting Windows.

Have you checked if the pcie lane runs at correct mode? To allow ‘bandwith’ transfer required for the card? If it is in the right setting, then you need to really workout where is the ‘bandwith’ bottleneck occured. It could be a failing gpu, apparently but hopefully not.

The chance it is coming from PSU is small but possible, but I mean considering its a 200w gpu, say your cpu max load needs 100w, you still have somekind of room to even use it for gaming though it may crash

Last edited: