Recently built PC has random entire computer stuttering problems

shiftymnm

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Here is the build I put together ~ 2 weeks ago.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Shiftymnm/saved/1sP1

Basically, since I first assembled it, I had these random entire computer "lag" problems. During this time, my mouse would start lagging and jumping instead of moving fluidly, I would disconnect from the internet, and my CPU load %'s would start jumping all over the place from 0-50%. I always check windows task manager when it happens but I never notice anything that stands out.

The weird thing is I don't know what causes the problem to start. It has happened to me before when I would just turn the computer on and go to a webpage and it would start. Other times, it will hit me in the middle of a video game. I use this computer to stream and I have successfully streamed while gaming with this issue never ocurring. During the stream, my CPU temps and load %'s were as high as I have seen them, around 60 degrees C, so I don't believe my CPU overheating is causing the problem but I really have no idea. I also monitor my GPU and it never gets above 80 degrees C which as far as I have read is average.

If anyone could help at all I would be so grateful. If you need more info from me let me know. Thanks in advance.

virus, other un wanted background programs? Try Defraggler for ur hdd, ccleaner to get rid of unused files and other. run virus protection, spybot search and destroy. If that doesnt help make sure all ur drivers are up to date, and you have the latest bios installed

shiftymnm

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I have ran MSE full scan with no problem. Is there a specific software I can use to run a malware scan? Also, would you consider drivers such as: "Intel Rapid Storage Technology", "Intel SATA Preinstall Driver", "Marvell Preinstall Driver", "Marvell Storage Utility", and "Marvell SATA Controller Driver" important? I have downloaded every other drive my MOBO supports. All those drivers are under the SATA RAID/AHCI category.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
For malware, run MalwareBytes: http://www.malwarebytes.org/
If you register it, you can run it real time like MSE.

You don't need every driver known to man. Just the ones required for your devices. The IRST driver for your SSD, yes. The pre-install stuff I never heard of.

You may have loaded up your system with a lot of junk files and your system may have registry errors. Run CCleaner and do the Clean and Registry sections both. More than once if necessary. http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Then check your Sys Config/start up for items you can uncheck. All those things running in the background waste resources. For comparison, I have 6 checked.

shiftymnm

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Ok I am currently running Malwarebytes and I just finished CCleaner clean and registry. Assuming all of this doesn't work, what kind of hardware issues might cause this problem? So far it seems like everyone thinks this is a software issue of some sort.

Also, would there be any benefit to running a OC test like Prime95 to see how the computer holds up? Obviously I haven't OC'ed my computer but should I try that?

DukeOvilla

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
Issues like this can be caused by lack of good drivers, make sure all the latest drivers are installed. Yes, running Prime95 is a good idea, if you have a defective CPU, you should get that fixed right away.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Overclocking won't help your 'lag' problems. If your CPU usage is jumping around when idle, it sounds like stuff is running in the background that is using clock cycles. That's why I thought you better look at your Sys Config/start up to see what's running and what you can shut off.

shiftymnm

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Well it doesn't only happen when it is idle. I'll be playing a game and the CPU load %'s will start to freak out and that's when everything starts to stutter and my internet goes out. I checked Sys Config/start up and I only have 5-6 things checked as well.

Also, malwarebytes just finished with nothing detected. Can you think of a hardware issue that would cause something like this? Assuming my CPU and GPU aren't overheating or anything like that, what could possibly be happening. It sucks just cause I don't even know how to recreate the problem. It is so random and sometimes lasts for a minute and other times I have to restart my computer.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I realize that, but since it does do it when it is idle it makes me think something is running, stealing clock cycles, and causing crashes that shouldn't be. Since you've ruled out a virus and malware, you've run a registry cleaning pgm, and your startup section is fairly clean, it may be a hdwr issue. Run the system for awhile with the gfx card removed and the driver un-installed; use the on-die GPU. See if you can get the issue to re-occur.